Need to move small evergreen - when?

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I have 6 of the small evergreens that look like miniture Christmas trees. I don't like their location and they have been there for about 2 yrs. When is the best time to dig and replant? I'm thinking late fall or early Spring but I'm not sure. They look to formal for my landscape.

Any suggestions?

Chaplin, CT(Zone 5b)

I move shrubs all the time, I live in zone 5. In fact I dug up 2 birdsnest spruce I planted last year, and plopped them in plastic tubs. They have been there since May and still look good. I still don't know where to plant them.I water them all the time. I think you can transplant anytime as long as the soil is loosened up a lot and you water everyday.

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

We have very close friends that have a Christmas Tree farm. They only plant trees in the very early spring or very very late fall when the trees are dormant. Also when you dig be certain to get as much of the root system as possible including the dirt.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

shihtzu, I move shrubs all the time, too, until they look too large to move. The only things I have lost were 3 large rosemary shrubs about 4' tall. They were in the bed next to my house and crowding each other. Alas, even with careful digging (much of it by hand) and quickly re-planting, they all died. Oh, I forgot I lost my gypsophila, too.

I have moved all kinds of shrubs and usually NOT in spring or fall: dwarf evergreens, Japanese laceleaf maple, crepe myrtle, dwarf Japanese holly, zenobia, Japanese barberry, flowering quince, ceanothus, smokebush, lonicera, buddleia, hydrangea, and lavender.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I've moved evergreens before at any time of the yr. They do fine, especially the smaller ones (below 4 ft). Water in well, and if they are indigenous only feed them at planting time with some fish emulsion to help them deal with any shock.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

FALL! Since we both live in the mid-Atlantic region with HOT & VERY HUMID summers, I don't transplant or move any established tree. To be assured of success, it is ALWAYS prudent to transplant in the Fall so that the tree is not shocked and the temperatures are milder. In late Fall, it will give your trees time to get re-established and put down a good root system. Plus, they will be conserving a lot of their energy during late Fall/early Winter, thereby not being stressed to much.

Pickerington, OH(Zone 6a)

I also have moved evergreen, arborvitae, everything, at various times of the year. I just transplanted 8 that I had moved in the Fall of last year. Decided they weren't going to be tall enough for the "neighbor barrier" I planned, so moved them again. I only lost one of the 9 that I moved in October. We tried to get as much of the root as possible but ended up cutting some of the roots to get them out (some had been in place for 12 years)...again, only one died. While it's great to get as much as you can, my experience shows that they are pretty hardy. Incidentially, the one I lost didn't even turn brown till almost 9 mos later, so I'm not entirely certain it didn't die from "natural causes"....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.