White Flowering Dogwood Question

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

I looked in the Plants Database but it didn't answer this question. Is it possible for a White Flowering Dogwood to make seedlings directly under it? Hubby pulled up what he thinks are dogwood seedlings from directly under our dogwood. The leaves are the same but they're so small it's hard to tell. I stuck them in water for the time being just in case he's right. I sure hope so!!

Any opinions? Thank so much!!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Well, they have to come from SOMEWHERE, don't they? (And, actually I can't answer your question as I don't have a dogwood, LOL.)

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/silvics_manual/Volume_2/cornus/florida.htm
(following information from the link)

Seed Production and Dissemination- Dogwood usually produces a good seed crop every other year, but seeds on isolated trees are frequently empty. Thus, seed collections should be made from groups of trees. In a Texas study, 88 percent or more of trees 9 cm (3.4 in) in d.b.h. and larger bore fruit each year. Year-to-year differences were more pronounced in the smaller diameter classes. Average fruit production was 185 kg/m² of basal area (37.9 lb/ft²) (9).

The yield of stones per kilogram of fruit ranges from 0.19 to 0.46 kg (19 to 46 lb/100 lb of fruit). The average number of cleaned stones per kilogram is 9,920 (4,500/lb). Clean, air-dried stones may be stored in sealed containers at 3° C (38° F) for 2 to 4 years (2). Birds and other animals are the primary agents of seed dissemination, although some seeds are scattered by gravity.

Seedling Development- Natural germination of flowering dogwood usually occurs in the spring following seedfall, but some seeds do not germinate until the second spring. Germination is epigeal. Stratification of freshly collected seed at 5° C (41° F) for periods up to 120 days is recommended for overcoming embryo dormancy (2).

Seedlings usually show rapid root growth. In one greenhouse study, an average 6-month-old seedling had 3,000 roots with a total length of 51.2 in (168 ft), compared to 800 roots with a total length of 3.7 in (12 ft) for loblolly pine (15).

This species grows nearly all summer but stops temporarily during periods of adverse conditions. In a Massachusetts nursery, flowering dogwood displayed a height growth pattern different from that of any other species studied. Seedlings grew from April 24 to September 4, and 90 percent of the growth occurred from May 15 to August 18. The most rapid growth occurred during the first week of August (10).

In a North Carolina Piedmont study, flowering dogwood seedlings were planted under three situations: (1) in an open field, (2) under pine stands, and (3) on the margins of pine stands. Survival was significantly higher on the margins of pine stands than on the other two sites, but there was no significant difference in survival between the open field and the pine forest. The intermediate light intensity of the margins apparently provided some advantage. Growth of seedlings was greater in the open than on the margin of the pine forest. Seedlings in the forest were smallest (15).

Transplanting flowering dogwood seedlings with a root ball is preferred over bare-root transplanting, although both methods can be successful (4). Plants entering their third year are well suited for planting in permanent locations. Plants of this age are usually 0.6 to 1 in (2 to 3 ft) tall and can be lifted easily without excessive disturbance of the root system.

````````````````````````
You might want to take your young seedling to your local nursery and they probably might be able to tell you more about it.

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Totally excellent CoCoBean...Thank you!!!!!

Columbia, SC(Zone 8b)

Hello,

Let me break it down for you in simple terms. 1) The reply from CoCo was awesome! 2) I have a small white dogwood tree that I transplanted from a seedling that sprouted in my mother's yard in spot that was not suitable for the tree. She has several large dogwoods, many have come from seedlings that were move from one place in the yard to another more suitable place. 3) Your unknown could well be a dogwood. You may want to take it from the water and put it in some good potting soil, keep it moist for a season or two and take a closer look at the plant when it has matured enough to identify with easier comparison to the trees growing on your property. Good Luck!

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

I did plant them into small pots and some good potting soil. I sure hope that's what they are cause someone in South Carolina wants at least one. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.