Clematis sale

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

It appears that this company puts different things on sale each month or so.

http://stores.yahoo.com/chalkhillclematis/specials.html

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks Hon! I shouldn't have looked, I shouldn't have looked, I shouldn't have looked.... NO WILL POWER!!!

Sweetwater, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks for this tip! I may get something myself this fall or next spring. They don't mail to NY State until mid-Sept., and I wonder if the clematis will have enough time to acclimate before winter.

I also passed it on to another thread!

14.95 is a sale on clematis? Plus shipping? Seems high to me

Sweetwater, TX(Zone 7a)

Did you look at the root system pictures in the big pots - wow! I'd pay for good plants! (Wayside Garden's are $10-15. for just a bareroot!)

Yes and No! It depends on which variety of Clematis you are talking about. $14.95 for any of the new ones that finally became available from Europe is a bargain to me, since they are so difficult to come by. However, paying $14.95 for C. Jackmanii (original) would be a rip off, in MHO. I would think that they are trying to move "old" inventory out of their nursery to make way for the newer & more dramatic Clematis. BTW, Jackmanii superba (newer) is almost the same as the original one, except the flowers are larger and a deeper purple.

Do you remember which variety you were interested in purchasing for $14.95? You should inquire if the vine is 2 or 3 yrs old. It makes a difference in how well it will be established in your garden. Also, you cannot expect a 1yr. old vine to produce the same abundance of flowers that a 3yr. old vine would.

Sweetwater, TX(Zone 7a)

I guess I was just being supportive of the helpful person who posted the link. It's a good site. They'll answer any of your questions about age of plants, roots, guarantees, etc. For rare varieties, it's a good site.

I appreciate your input, "ANewYorker" and I was also tempted to purchase one of their Clematis, but then I took a look at their shipping & handling fees! It would cost just about as much as the plant to ship it to the East Coast. That is NOT a bargain, IMHO!

Any reputable Clematis Nursery will answer your questions, have the information already posted on their website, have the standard guarantees and also have a couple of "hard-to-find" varieties. When the S&H charges cost as much as the plant, it really makes me think twice!! Do I REALLY want to purchase this vine........NO, I probably could find a better deal closer to where I live and thereby save on the S&H.

Sweetwater, TX(Zone 7a)

Lavanda, Thanks for sharing this site with DG! Happy Gardening!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.