Prickly, Fuzzy, Stickie, Touchy...

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I want to make a garden bed full of "sensory" plants. Fuzzy ones, prickly ones, touchy-feely ones...

Suggestions? I can think of two ...

Silver Queen
Lamb's Ears ..

Help?!? :)

TIA,
-Jennifer

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Sensitive Plant?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Eryngium - Sea Holly for prickly

Morris, IL(Zone 5b)

Silvermound, moonflower(datura) and regular wild mullien for fuzzy. Roses, globe thistle for prickly. If you want sharp, how about yucca or prairie cord grass. Rough would be hollyhocks, coneflowers and sunflowers. Lunaria and love-in-a-mist for papery. Hosta for smooth. Or puckery. Leather-leaf viburnum has a nice texture too. Sappy? Milkweed wins every time. Runny? Try tradescantia. Most sedums have interesting texture too. Borage has an odd feel to it. And you might want to throw in an allium or two for round. And if you are really into it...throw in some summer flowering balsam for the exploding seed pods. :) (For stinky, I'd recommend cleome!)

naturepatch

Lake Elsinore, CA(Zone 9a)

Biunny Tail grass. Very soft and cute. Likes to self sow, but is easy to control.

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

For sticky, perennial mimulus or gentian sage. Their leaves catch everything! Plus their flowers are lovely.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

Iwas going to suggest.....nice smelly: Pinapple Sage! E.

Silver Lake, OH(Zone 5b)

Don't forget the smellies - how about chocolate mint?

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

YaHoo!! This is a *fantastic* list .... Thanks!

I'm going to get them all in order in my journal, then ask again when I see what "senses" I'm missing ...

Thank you Thank yoU!
-Jennifer

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

How about a Vicks plant? They are fuzzy and stinky . There are several "scented' geraniums too.

Upton, MA(Zone 5b)

Peppermint Geranium would fill two senses: it's wonderfully fuzzy and soft to touch and it smells delightful!

Morris, IL(Zone 5b)

Why not throw in some moss too? And add some 'natural' ornaments...different colored and types of rocks. They don't even have to be large ones, just small ones in a flat pan. Rocks have texture too. And throw in a slice of tree so you can count the rings when you're tired of touching and smelling things. :)

naturepatch

Princeton, IL(Zone 5a)

If you have room for a tree, how about a river birch clump. I love the peeling, papery feeling and look about them.

LimeyLisa Kay

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Pasque flower is so velvety to the touch in spring. Globe thistle is prickly. Balloonflower buds are fun to pop, as are the seedpods of nigella. Milkweed seeds are silky. Oakleaf hydrangea has beautiful peeling bark. Turtlehead and snapdragon flowers can be made to 'talk' by squeezing them. Hollyhock petals are silky and can be made into little dolls. Sunflower seedheads are pebbly and rough.

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Snapdragons.....great suggestion NoH.
MaMa "T" :)

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

SnapDragons! :) Mom's right, those are one of my favorites... I would've seen them eventually and remembered, but thank you for the reminder! :)

Gotta make room for that annual anywhere I can. :)

*wheeeee* :) THanks!
-Jennifer

Willacoochee, GA(Zone 8b)

the entire genus Loasa would be worth looking into.

Silver Lake, OH(Zone 5b)

I remember doing that with snapdragons... and the other thing my folks had TONS of was spiderplant - or at least that's what they called it - purple clemome!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.