Anyone painted their truck before?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Folks...Last year my pick-em-up took a dive into a creek. (Don't worry, no one was in it, and no one was hurt, except my wallet to get it fixed!) (New hood, left quarter panel.)
I was going to take the truck to get it painted at a "cheapy shop", which would be fine for a 'farm truck' I'm sure. However, the more I think about it (and the $350 they wanted) I think maybe I should just go to Walmart or an auto store, buy some primer, some good paint, then sand the little bit of rust down and paint the hot spots, with a brush. The replaced hood and quarter panel need painting, and also a few rusty areas, plus I bought a new tailgate that needs it. I could keep my truck going easily if I just did this myself (painting it).

Has anyone out there done their own before? Have a primer/paint they could recommend? (Any tips? Tell me about it, good or bad...I can take it!) τΏτ

This thread has 33 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!