What is Fastest Growing Vine?

Clayton, NY(Zone 4a)

Hi,

I just put up an arbor. What flowering vine will grow the quickest and nicest in Zone 4?

Thanks,

Kirk

Lappeenranta, Finland(Zone 3a)

This is bad guestion. Because I dont know do you mean annual or perennial.
Dioscorea batatas (Jams) and Ipomoea batatas are really fast growing annual vines in zone 4. Then ther is some beans what grow fast...
But There's many beautiful perennial Clematis what grow fast too...

Clayton, NY(Zone 4a)

Ooops - Sorry......for sure Perenial.....and what kind of Clematis would you suggest?

Thanks

Clayton, NY(Zone 4a)

Ooops - Sorry......for sure Perenial.....and what kind of Clematis would you suggest?

Thanks

Also - What do you think about Wisteria?

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

If you are asking which are the fastest growing Clematis, my answer would be any of the Montana varieties. However, the Montana variety is NOT hardy in zone 4. They can cover a fence in a single growing season. Of course, I am sure that you are referring to established 3yr. old plants and not newly planted ones. Instead, I would try the Sweet Autumn Clematis which is in the DG database. Mine has been growing for several years, and it easily covers 10-15 feet of fencing with no problems!

The other vine that covers an area very quickly would be Akebia quinata (grown on the North side). I have it clamoring up my drain pipe and it would easily reach the tippy top....if I let it!

Lappeenranta, Finland(Zone 3a)

!Clematis Jackmanii!
This is it. It's hardy, fast growing and beautiful:)=)

Porterfield, WI(Zone 4b)

Here's a couple from experience: Hops, and Silver Lace Vine! There is also the Virginia Creeper. Legit

Albany (again), NY(Zone 5b)

Does Kudzu count? * just kidding *

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Sometimes I think that my Akebia is a "Kudzu" in disguise! If I let it, it would take over the entire side & front of my house!!

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

In general, annuals will grow faster the first year than a perennial though.

You might plant a perennial vine and see annuals too, like morning glory, cypress vine, etc, or nastrutioum.

The annual will cover the first year whie the perennial is growing stronger.

Sweetwater, TX(Zone 7a)

Do any of you have trumpet creeper (campsis radicans)? That is a good one for zone 4 - will grow 5-10 ft per year in zone 4/5, and have beautiful trumpet shaped orange or yellow flowers that hummingbirds like.

Do you want flowers or are you just covering the arbor for shade?

I agree that you can plant some nice annuals to cover every year, while you are waiting for your perennial to take root and get bigger.

Unfortunately, at our local garden centers in south central NY, it is hard to find any good vines left at this time of year! I hope you have more luck!

Clayton, NY(Zone 4a)

Hi,

I want it for shade and flowers......

Don't know anything about trumpet creeper...

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Here is a thread with lots of info on trumpet vines:

http://davesgarden.com/t/388970/

Sweetwater, TX(Zone 7a)

kg6040, I got my orange trumpet creeper vines at Agway, and I even saw a yellow one at K-Mart! You're in Watertown? Maybe you can find one there. It's kinda late in the season, though...

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

let yuor fingers do the waling, I always say !

And I have seen soe on ebay.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I gave him one!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.