Castor Bean contest?

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Should we have an informal contest on the tallest castor bean ths year?

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

After you tell me how tall yours is..... LOL!! Just kidding. My poor wind dropped castors wouldn't have a chance. I've had to keep propping them up and tying them to stakes. Would love to see pictures of everyone elses though.

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Me too,I have a 7footer right now,bet someone can top that.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

One or two of mine might be close to that. Would have to get out the old tape measure or have Jim stand next to them and measure with a yard stick from the top of his head on up.

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Root: I think my are stunted this year. They just seem like they are stuck. It's got to be the weather. I've had them top 15 ft. tall before.

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

It's still early in the year,lots of growing left.

Willacoochee, GA(Zone 8b)

aint fair.... I can plant mine in the ground around march 15th...

I've had one top 16ft with 3ft leaves one year grown in a pile of municiple compost.
Was the large leaf via JL Hudson seedsman

Lappeenranta, Finland(Zone 3a)

My Castor friend are so small:) No chance.

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

I am at 3'. So maybe next year. Next year it's fertilizer and water; fertilizer and water. I am going to for the record.:)

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Mine are 8-9 feet high, it's a jungle out there.

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Looks like you have the lead here Weeds!can we see a pic?

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Our tallest is 5 1/2 feet. (But you should have to spot me a couple of feet for each full zone difference!)

The fence is 7 feet tall

Thumbnail by TwinLakesChef

Another View

Thumbnail by TwinLakesChef
Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Wow Chef looking great,all of it!be sure to pick the buds off them,Kyle said that gets them going up,Thanks for showing us!HmmmmLooks like your in third.LOL!

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

One of mine is about 5 ft. now.....Hey Doc, ya think these would work for the fall roundup??

"eyes"

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Sure Eyes if you mean bringing some to trade?is that what you mean?I got some beauty Impalas from Debby at our round up!

If I pick the buds off, where will I get seeds for next year?

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

well, the darn deer got the tops out of all my Red Spires, I'm hoping they will still get tall before end of summer.

Saint Petersburg, FL(Zone 9b)

mines about ten or 12 feet will go out and get a pic later

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Chef it does not takethem long to produce seeds,for me I let them bud the last month for seeds,I have so many different kinds I am afraid I will not get any true seeds,so I will only keep a few.

Saint Petersburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is mine the latter is 8' so I guess I am closer to 10 feet

Thumbnail by irish

I am still in the 3 foot club. How terrible it is to live up North sometimes.

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Looking great irish!
Studley I still have some sitting at 6inches,:0)

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Here is a pic, what a jungle out there since I can't get out and take care of it. I am afraid to see how it will look at the end of August.

Thumbnail by weeds
Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Thats a dandy!I guess I better atleast show a leaf,LOL,will get a better pic tomorrow.

Thumbnail by rootdoctor
North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

NO FAIR! You didn't tell me I had to grow the big ones! I'm growing Carmencita, only go to 6 feet. How about the reddest? LOL

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Root: I like it with the cleome in front. Looks really good.

This message was edited Monday, Jul 21st 10:09 PM
I meant to say in the first edit, that the Impala's are to attain a height of 5 ft. Had a C.R.S. moment or maybe a blonde one.

This message was edited Monday, Jul 21st 10:17 PM

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Okay, went out and took a picture of the tallest one. It comes in at 6 ft. Was almost dark, had to lighten up the photo.

Thumbnail by Debby
Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

LOL Debby I love that cat!!!!!!!You sure have some big leaves going there!!!
Liz I'm game for the reddest red also!!!

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Those cleomes do look good with it.

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks Weeds,I'll have a ton of seeds if you want a hand full to cast.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Great pictures all of you. I have four planted in this bed. One dwarf green isn't visible, but the tallest is on the far side of the trellis/arbor and a couple of others in the foreground. Guess this is about as good as it will get here.

Thumbnail by Brugie
Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Root, you bet! I love them.
Brugie, that is one nice looking garden....I think that is good enough.

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

How about the most purple one..Last year these were whoppers, but have them planted in a different spot. Plus we are very dry here. Maybe I better give them some grow juice.
Hey, Root: That cat has been up there for years, he won't come down. I think Ted nailed him to the roof.LOL..Oopps, now PETA will be after us.

Thumbnail by Debby
North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

Yikes! Debby, I was about to ask if that cat was real? LOL

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

oh how luscious that looks!

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Shirley I can't believe your garden,we sure could have tilled you a bigger bed,EH?that castor looks great!

Liz how about Debbys red?Wowzer!
I might like a cat like that!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks...the bed is very full this year. Some things aren't even going to grow much because they can't see the light of day.

Debby, that is a beautiful red.

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Two on west side of porch.

Thumbnail by rootdoctor

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.