Climbers for new arbor

Holland, MI(Zone 6a)

I have a new arbor, and I would like to plant something that would be hardy for 6a and bloom most of the summer. Is this asking for too much?

Clematis?

Roses?

Other?

The arbor is in full sun most of the time.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Birdsall,

Most Clematis will be hardy in zone 6a. Only a few tenders ones wouldn't be. However, you could always grow your tender Clematis in a container and bring it in for the winter. Where there is a will there is a way!!! :~)

If you want specifics on which Clematis would NOT grow in your zone, please see my thread(s) in the Co-op forum. The post (not the orders only) that contains the info. on Clematis has tons of information and lots of links to great websites that will answer every Clematis question you ever had.

As for which Roses to grow, I would re-post that question in the Rose Forum. You will get better results there. However, I do remember reading that Buck Roses were hardy in the North, as well as, roses that are bred in Canada.

Holland, MI(Zone 6a)

After talking with a man in the local garden center about roses, he affirmed my theory about cutting off the old blossoms before they go to seed to make them bloom throught the summer.

When I asked him why he hadn't told me the week before when I was asking him about roses, he replied that he had just learned it. He had clipped off the seed pods from the rose that had previously been blooming and got me interested in an arbor.

I bought two Don Juans to go with my new arbor. There are a few buds, so I am optimistic. I am behind in my planting but I hope to get it done soon.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I also have the Don Juan Rose and it has been a very reliable performer. I have Clematis "Comtesse de Bouchard" climbing up the Rose and it has even surpassed the rose in height!

In your response on 7/19, are you stating NOT to cut off the old blooms??? I usually dead head the spent rose blooms for a nicer appearance. I get less of a 2nd bloom, but do get random flowers.

Do be vigilant on spraying for black spot disease (you may not have the same problem in your area) and also Japanese Beetles. They will devour the blossoms & leaves during the late summer growing season.

Holland, MI(Zone 6a)

In my 7/19 response I meant that I dead head the spent rose blooms to prevent them from going to seed and to encourage more blooms throught the summer.

I have two Japanese Beetle traps that work well. They are quite prevalalent this year as they were last year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.