Help selecting evergreen

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I'd like to plant an evergreen to provide birds some shelter in the winter. Most seem to get huge. Does anyone know of a spruce or some other kind of evergreen that has a more columnar growth habit and doesn't get over 20 feet tall? I'd also like one that isn't prone to disease and is long lived.

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

I have no idea what the recommended zones are for this plant since I just saw this article last week, but Monrovia plants are pretty widely distributed:

"...he (Nicholas Staddon, director of new plants for Monrovia) said the public is looking for more manageable plants that still provide screening. A favorite is 'Bright 'N Tight,' a tall, upright, evergreen cherry laurel that grows 8 feet high.

Maybe this might work for you?

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

ask at various local nurseries. They should know their stock and how it grows.

Chaplin, CT(Zone 5b)

I planted 6 dwarf alberta spruce, they are slow growing, and are supposd to get 12 feet tall, are cold hardy and tolerate wind, heat and drought. I got some nice 4 footers at Walmart this year as a "special buy" for 20.00 each. I am in zone 5.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

You might look into 'Boulevard Cypress' and see to what zone it is hardy. I put one in for my mother in zone 6a; all I remember is that the nursery man said it would get 8-10' tall but would NOT do well above 3,000 feet. It was wonderfully soft, and shaped like a Christmas tree.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.