Tiny cleome

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

I didn't see a few of them when I was weeding earlier in the spring, and now I know why. A few of my volunteers from last year's plants are very small.

Last year's plants were ones that I had selected to let live (picking color, stench, etc. as a basis).

This year, three of my cleome are so small! I have never seen them that tiny. The whole plant is under 10", and the blooms, including the "whiskers" are less than 1". The seedpods are also very tiny: just over 1" long.

I am going to save the seeds and see what happens next year... I just might be onto something!

I will try to get a good photo, but they are in a place that the lighting is just wrong from sunup to sundown...

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

My cleome are also small this year. Both my dwarf and regular size cleome are about half the normal size. I assume that it's the result of the cool wet spring and summer. However, since it turned hot about 2 weeks ago, they appear to be growing. I'll send some of our hot weather up your way.....Nat

Albany (again), NY(Zone 5b)

My cleomes are small this year, too - more like a foot tall than the usual 3-4 feet. A few of them are also where they shouldn't be! ;)

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

My cleomes are tiny this year - blooming at about a foot high when they usually are 3-4 ft or more. I am sure it is the cold wet spring and early summer we have had.

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

Same here. Small, and mayby early for blooming?

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

The leaves on mine are also very tiny. Same with everyone else's? I pulled off a pod while still unripe, the seeds seemed to be formed, but not yet done.

Odd that everyone's cleomes should be so small. I have had them for years, but never this tiny and blooming.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.