Bumps on stem, yellowing leaves?

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

One of my tomato plants has developed yellow leaves, starting from the bottom. I also noticed that the stem is quite bumpy, unlike the other two. Any clues?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Sounds like LOTS of water maybe? Especially the "bumpy" part...the stem is trying to make roots. (Was it laid over a bit by any chance? Or flooded?)

The yellow leaves...pick 'em off! Could be from excess water but more importantly could be a virus of some kind (which is encouraged by lots of water, especially splashed water/soil).

Another guess...could be time to feed the plants again (referring to yellow leaves at bottom).

Well, I fed them today, and took off the yellow leaves. Same treatment consistently (and amount of water) for all three, so we'll see.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Darius,

Any spots on those leaves or just yellow leaves?

If just yellow leaves at the base of the plant it's normal to have the lower leaves yellow and fall off or you can take them off if you wish. I don't.

But most spots on the leaves indicate a foliage infection due to bacteria or fungi. If any spots could you please describe exactly what they look like?

Agree with Shoe on the bumps being root primordia. Perfectly normal and they can appear on some varieties and not others and they can appear on stems anywhere's near the base of a plant, even if the stem hasn't been in touch with soil.

Carolyn

Carolyn, here's a leaf photo.

Thumbnail by darius

And here's the stem...

Thumbnail by darius
Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Stems definitely have root primordia. Completely normal.

The leaf shown does have lesions on it. Doesn't look bacterial in terms of the size and color of the lesions.

Notice the yellow coloring around the brown irregular lesions. Speaks to Septoria Leaf Spot as high on the list or possibly Early Blight although there should be concentric rings inside the lesions of Early Blight. (Alternaria) at some point in their develo0pment.

A good anti-fungal spray program should prevent further transmission of this foliage diseases ( not systemic) and I'd suggest Ortho Garden Disease Control with Daconil as the active ingredient.

Carolyn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.