holly hock rebloom?

city?? lol sticks, AR(Zone 7a)

last year at a yard sale in the early fall a little old lady had hollyhocks blooming---I asked how she did it and she said she cuts hers down every year and they start over--has anyone done this too? cheryl

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I have had the same experience.

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Would this work very well in an area with more heat?

"eyes"

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

now that you mention it a lady down the street has them growing in the same spot for years and they are huge and she never does anything to her yard so I bet she does not dig new ones in.

great to know.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Eyes, I wonder if you could keep them pretty wet if they wouldn't come again. Delphiniums do the same things except they are a more true perenniel whereas I believe hollyhocks are technically a bienniel.

city?? lol sticks, AR(Zone 7a)

mine come back for years now------I cut them down in the fall, but this lady cut hers back after they bloomed and they got excited and bloomed that fall?

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

I cut mine down when they fall over; I continually have new flower stalks growing from June through November. I grow the fig-leaf type, so that might be part of the difference. That type seems to be very resistant to rust: I have only had it one year.

I leave the stalks after September, though; I found out that ice or snow falling down the cut stalks is what kills mine. Some are 5 or 6 years old.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.