Rooting Passiflora, Dutchmans' Pipe Vine, etc.

Titusville, FL(Zone 9a)

What is the best way to root these tempermental type vines? I have about a 25% success rate but need to find a better way. My passiflora is a variegated type grown from seed (only one to germinate out of 10) and want to propagate with a better survival rate. Thanks .
Randy

Newberry, FL(Zone 8B)

Randy, i have limited experience, have researhed and asked. it seems if you take cuttings from very vigorous new growth they should root in soil like other cuttings....i recently pulled some vigrous little (2 inch) sprouts off a big root and used Schult quickstart (i think that is the name) has b vitamins and they are doing well. i also heard they root easily in water, i have another kind in water and they are putting out new leaves and look good...don't know what will happen when i put them in dirt. i never do that "baggy over the cutting" thing, i am just west of gainesville, it is so humid and i don't have to worry about adjusting them...

Conroe, TX(Zone 8b)

Randy, check the site www.landspro.com
for detailed passiflora info. Great propagation site with other great information for propagaters.

[ Removed by member request. - Admin ]

Palmyra, VA(Zone 7a)

randy,

i use a fish tank as a rooting chamber. i have the standard light kit that came with the tank, and the glass cover keep the moisture in. i'm getting as low as 25% and as high as 75% depends on the species/varieties.

kht
i have p. trifasciata and p. boenderi, both are variegated. will try to take a cutting from each to root, they started to leaf out about 2 wks ago, been nothing but bare stems since last year.

[ Removed by member request. - Admin ]

Randy, there was a post about starting them in Orange Juice if working from seed...

Where is the link to your beautiful plant photos here?

Found two referrences to this, one "What seeds germinate in OJ" and "starting Passiflora seeds in OJ".

Cena

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.