Flower Head

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Diascia Twin Spur and Bacopa

Thumbnail by TwinLakesChef

What a great container. Where in the world did you get that, or did you make it? Luv it.

Harrisville, MI(Zone 5b)

Wow Chef glad you got this one to post!that is one fantastic head!!!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

And a passion vine curling around his neck too??? What a conversation piece your head must be too.

Root, go to the vegetable forum, I have questions about tomatillos and you are the guy who helped me last summer about seed.

Bought it mail order, Coco.
Have to water it a lot; very shallow.

But I do love it!

a

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

TLC, That is a conversation piece if I ever saw one. Great!
Is it concrete?

Yes it is concrete. Supposed it is a copy of an original statue that was found and part of the head was broken off.
So someone got the idea to copy it and sell it as a planter. When my neighbor first saw it (it was empty), she said, "What's that ugly thing?"

I told her, "Just wait". Now she loves it. HA HA

It has been fun

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8b)

Very, very cool planter. I love it.

Thank you!

TLC; just tell your neighbor that, that is your 'pot head'

LOL
She probably already suspects I'm kinda different!
She would really get suspicious then!

Bay City, MI(Zone 5a)

WOW, now that is art!!! Very pretty :)

New hairdo for Fall

Thumbnail by TwinLakesChef
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

That head would be perfect for Gloria Gardener.

Gloria is a five foot high woman that I built of round rod covered with chicken wire. filled her with potting soil and planted her dress full of trailing greens and lobellia.

Gave her head a wig and straw hat put trailing petunias in her arms and a hoe in one hand and a sign post in the other that said welcome to the garden of weedin.

She was fun for several years but needs refurbished but I never seem to get back to her.

Anyway love the head it is real neat. Ernie

Ernie,
wish we could see her picture! Yesterday, shopping,
saw an old convertible full of flowers. They made the whole thing a planter! right in the front yard! lol

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Am going to try to restore her and move her to the back yard next year. The problem is by the time you add my honeydew list to my want list and add in work with it's 100 mile commute my wants are bigger than my bodycan.

I really want to build another green house. I have plans to build a raised bed in the form of a twin bed, A wagon which I started five years agoand another 15 or so room bird house covered with shingles to run sweet peas up the post .

I didn't get to either of the first two this year so I planted a wheel barrow with about a dozen mixed annuals and got a huge hanging basket all the way to the ground. By seasons end all you could see of the wheel barrow Was about 15 inches of the handles.

I guess I would have to say the car idea is kind of neat.

I helped a friend bury a flat nosed fiberglass boat for a water plant, coi pond and when it was done you could not tell it was a thrown away boat.

A large grocery store uses a small horse drawn style as a container by stuffing it with large tubs of planted flowers . I guess they don't want to rot the boards by filling it with dirt.

So I guess the sky is the limit when it comes to containers. One is only limited by his or hers own immagination. Regards Ernie.

How wonderful! Nice talking to you!

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Beautiful planter TwinLakes. Looks kinda like the face of Lady Liberty.
Whatcha think....I like it..... :o)
Dee

Willow,
It has been the most fun planter. Did you see the newest
~ picked up on a tag sale?

http://davesgarden.com/t/404134/

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes, I looked at it last night, really neat. Wish I had it too..... :op
And am waiting until this morning to post what I got this weekend for $4.00.
.......have to wait till daylight to take a picture...:o)
Dee

Can't wait to see it! Just love a bargain ? !

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

eweed sounds like you have a lot of property to handle some large projects. Like the idea of a buried boat. I saw a jet boat this year filled with petunias in someone's yard. It was quite striking. Moving pots around and growing a different mix of plants is just like redecorating the house - although on balance I think the garden decorating is less expensive and definitely healthier.
Hey TLC is the plastic bucket an empty bocconcini conainer? It has that food service look. I'm currently trying to come up with adequate disguising material for the large styrofoam containers that our fish is shipped in. I know I can bore drainage holes in the bottom, they are light weight and a great shape for planters. I'm just not sure what glues, paints whatever are appropriate for styrofoam. (Best of all they're free and I get to feel good about being a recycler.) Will post some pictures once I have a brilliant idea or two - oh, yeah and actually finish the job.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

jagonjune not a lot of property only two acres . It is a big project to try to keep up with these days. Funny thing I don't seem to be able to get as much done as I need to and I always did before.

The boat project was at a friends.

My own pond project is on hold because I wasn't thinking about the golden retrivers being able to jump in but not get out because the pond is a very large plastic stock tank with steep sides. After I thought about the dogs then I started thinking about kids getting in and I got cold feet.

About your styrofoam box it's probably best used as a liner for a wooden box because the pressure of the dirt would keep it home so it wouldn't break and the styrofoam would help keep the box from rotting. A few small test will tell you which glues will work for you. I know Weld wood powdered glue will stick because we coated with it and then put fiberglass over the glue. Polyester resin is the binder in a fiberglass lay up and if you put it directly on styrofoam it will instantly melt.

I know more than you wanted to hear sorry but I have at least five more ideas for your boxes but don't want to be in trouble for rambeling. Regards Ernie

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

Ernie, we can always use good information like you are providing! Would love to read more... John

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

John Thank you for your Kind reply. In real lifeI am bold and confident but here I am sort of timid because I can't see your eyes or read your body language.

I don't know everyones rules and have only been doing this for about a month. I think I am getting some of this down. Regards Ernie.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Ernie, the idea of using the styrafoam as a liner is interesting. I wonder if that would help keep wood planters from rotting out so fast now that pressure treated wood is history.

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

Ernie, glad you joined us here, enjoy!

Always like to hear new ideas; that's how I have learned so much here.
Thanks, Ernie

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

ZaneymuseYes thats why I suggested putting it in a nice wooden box in my reply to jagonjune .Besides the value one would get get from slowing the rot, I would reason in a hot climate the convected heat to the roots would be reduced making a happer planting.

I would use cedar make a neat box maybe carve some flowers in the box maybe cut some flowers of wood and glue them to the face you want to look at.

It goes without saying to much more you need to seal the top edge of the styrofoam and keep the dirt below the edge to lessen the chance your seal will fail.

The sky is the limit when it comes to options here and only ones mind controls the number.

Heavens I talk much better with a chalk or pencil in my hand.

The first rule of design is for those who don't know is Form follows function. If I had all of you togeather in my play shop we could brain storm collectively and come to several ways and cost to do this project and it would be fun. Regards Ernie.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Interesting about your suggestion. years ago when we designed the landscaping for my front yard I was definitely NOT a gardener. So the whole front yard became the home of three huge round cedar planters (10', 12' and 13' foot in diameter) about 3' high. They are made of cedar and are much like the old stock tanks we used to have on the prairies before the metal ones. They were lined with one inch styrofoam to provide insulation for the rootballs for the evergreens planted there. They are now 14 years old and last year was the first time I had to replace any of the everygreens. In between the planters is rundle rock. (no mowing and only spring and fall maintenance on the evergreens) Now that I have become a gardener and the front yard is the only sunny spot on the lot I plant a lot of pots out there. And Ernie, you can never give too much info.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

P.S. Wheres Everson say in relation to Seattle?

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

jagonjune about 100 miles or one and a half hours North.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

jagonjune, they sound great. But what is rundle rock ?

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Why has no one else jumped up with another way to use the styro boxes as a plant container? Ernie

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

OK then I will bake the bread.

How about reinforcing the perimeter with duct tape and covering the exterior with a nice fabric maybe a floral print.Ernie

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

I had thought of burlap cover sort of like bamboo wallpaper from a distance and wouldn't show the dirt.

Oh and rundle rock is a dark slate grey rock that is shale like in texture. Will post some pictures tomorrow.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

It sounds attractive. I like shale all crumbled up it has a wonderfull deep gray color.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

here are some pics of the rundle rock and the tubs

Thumbnail by jagonjune
Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

and another

Thumbnail by jagonjune
Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks. It does look like shale. Those planters are interesting also.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.