taking a slip from tomato plant

columbia, SC(Zone 8b)

could someone give me some advice on taking a slip from my tomato plant that is now starting to bear fruit? I did find a link on a thread about doing this. while it is rooting should i incase it in plastic or some such thing/keep in dark or under lights?

Bark River, MI

Roof, I could be wrong, but I think you can take a "sucker" off and stick it in water and it will root. (Like in a jar on a windowsill) What are you going to do with it?

;-) Sandy

tomato cuttings root fairly easy just keep it wet and shaded for a few days to a week. use a cutting or a good heavy sucker that is about 6-8 inches long with a good stem and stick in in the dirt about half the length

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Troy is right.Keep it sheltered for a week or so.Use the suckers that arise from the leaf joints and either put them in water or keep the soil damp.

I keep mine inside for about a week in a light but not sunny location and then move them outside for a week in bright light but not direct sun.

They should be fine then.Plant just like any other tomato.Got some growing roots right now in the utility room.

columbia, SC(Zone 8b)

thanks so much! I appreciate any and all advice. WW, I am just wanting to maybe extend my tomatoes inside. To tell the truth i am new at taking rootings and such. WOuld like to set up some lighting in my apartment [ somewhere !? ] for this fall and winter, and i am just plying around with some diffrent herbs to see how successful i can be at starting new plants, thought i would take a stab at tomatoes too. I know they would need alot of light butits fun to try.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Tomatoes indoors are pretty tricky.Only the smaller cherry types will produce and they need to be in a South facing window.Tomatoes need a huge amount of sunlight to produce fruit,and pretty much all you'll get is scraggeldy foliage.

If you're new at this,you may want to try something with a little better success rate...such as herbs,before tackling indoor veggies.Grow lights won't give enough of the full spectrum of light for fruit production.

columbia, SC(Zone 8b)

thank you for the info

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil(Zone 10a)

A silly question about tomatoes (first time growing them).
Can we pinch? So we can have bushier plants??
I am growing cascading cherry tomatoes and, as every little seed sprouted, I am growing a forest of tomato plants.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

If you pinch out the central leader in a tomato plant,some varieties will quit producing blooms...others could care less and continue to fruit away.If you have plants to burn,try one and see what happens.

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil(Zone 10a)

Thanks for the information.
I will try

Marshfield, WI(Zone 4b)

You just started me wondering - If you take a cutting late in the fall, root it and plant it indoors; feed it; give it light; read to it. And then supposing all you get is a scraggly plant, but from that plant you could take cuttings again in early spring to start new plants for the summer. I have some really nice grape tomatoes going and wouldn't mind having the exact same ones next year. Barring that, could I save seeds from the grape tomatoes?

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

First of all,I haven't welcomed you to Dg myhres...so welcome!

Yes,you can root cuttings,and if they make it through the winter,in theory,you can set out cuttings that you've rooted.If you have the time and the room,you might try it and see what happens.It's a pain in the rear to keep a tomato growing inside all winter,unless you have a heated sunroom.

As far as your grape tomato seeds,most grapes are hybrid,and they won't grow true from saved seed.Your offspring next year will favor the parents of your grape tomato.

Marshfield, WI(Zone 4b)

Thank you for the welcome. I am really enjoying many of the forums here at DG. I've rooted lots of cuttings, but usually you have a few leaves and nodes to work with, cut below the node and trim the leaves. Do you wait till the tomato sucker has more than the end leaf? I usually cut off the suckers before they get very big, so not sure what one does to root one. I'm guessing you would use rooting hormone and root like normal in soiless mixture, i.e., not rooting in water. What do you think?

columbia, SC(Zone 8b)

is it ok to root edible things with rooting hormone????

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Just stick it in a glass of water in a sunny window...no need for nodes or hormones.A tomato has the ability to produce roots all along its stem. Just look at a tomato plant that has fallen over in your garden...white root bumps everywhere.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.