Wild Fern

crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

In the woods behind my home is a HUFE Cinnamon Fern. Can this be transplanted with any luck to a closer spot to my shade garden?

Tina

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

First, I'd make sure there were others in the area. If there are smaller fern there, it would probably be easier to transplant one of them and give it good reason to grow huge. I think, considering the heat factor in your area, that it would be best to wait until the fern is dormant in the fall to actually move it, and then give it lots of moisture and a good topping of compost, leaves would be best as that is what it's used to, and let it work on roots through the winter.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Cant you gather the spores as well?....takes longer but I've had better success transplanting that way than moving the whole plant.:~).

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

I have seen cinnamon fern rhizomes for sale at Wal-Mart. You'd be better off buying a bag of those (it was 3 for ~$3) and planting them. I *almost* bought some to put in my north garden with my hydrangeas. I've decided I don't like the swamp fern in there nearly as much as I thought...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.