? about Hens n Chicks aka Sempervivums

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

Do you consider these succulents or alpines?

Sodwana Bay KZN, South Africa

Alpine succulents! :-)

Valley Village, CA

Hi gang, Sempervivums, are members of the Crasulaceae family. I can grow them in So. Calif. in the shade during the summer, or under 50% shade cloth. They color up really well, and are now starting to offset this time of year. The best month for them here is May. They come in several colors and many more forms. Don't go nuts over these, they will keep you broke, there are so many to select from.
Crasulady

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey, Norma great to see you here!

Over july 4th there was a sale at 1.25 each. was that too expensive?

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I love 'em too. I had one to bloom after a dry period and then we got a rain. It has a beautiful bloom. Trouble is, the large one died after it bloomed but left lots of babies.

This message was edited Sunday, Jul 27th 6:17 PM

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Yes, woodspirit, that's the nture of the beast - but they do leave you with more to go on with :)

I used to have a huge collection - Crasulady's right, there are just SO many. Hairy ones, smooth ones, red ones, green ones, bronze ones, big ones, little ones.......
Love them all

I had no idea there were so many! I have the green ones and the reddish ones. I had them planted in ceramic drain tiles that were stood up on end. But some of them rotted, even without blooming. So I will take them up and add more sand and pebbles in the bottom of the holes. What ph do they like?

As far as I remember they're not too fussy, just not at the extremes. Neutral to mildly alkaline I think. Someone else may know more precisely...

thanks, philomel. My soil here is very acid and I figured since most of them originate out west, the soil has to be more alkaline. Is this also true of ice plant?

I know a number of sedums (is that ice plant - i think so?) grow on limestone pavements etc, so presumably like alkaline conditions.

I don't think either would be particularly happy if your soil is very acidic, but it's always worth a try, particularly if you can help them along with some limestone chippings or something...

I have a bag of limestone pellets so that should work. Everyone living in the eastern part of the U.S. usually has pretty acid soil. Farmers have to have lime delivered by the truckload and spread out in many areas.

Sounds good :)

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh, how wonderful!

We are on a natural layer of limestone here, and hve little fragments mixed in the soil (naturally), not by man's plan...

I have an order of ice plant AND semps soon to come in.

Thanks Philomel! This is wonderful news! woo~hoo !!!

I do not have enough plant stock now (none to practically none!) but mebbe we could have a swap later on sometime ?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.