Varigated Lirope

Cullman, AL(Zone 7a)

How does this work in the shade? Will it change color? I have rescued a bunch of it from a building site not sure where I can use it. Thanks in advance for your help. Doris

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Doris, I have my yellow-and-green variegated liriope in a mostly-shade situation beneath a tree, and it does great - the color seems to really stand out in the shade.

Cullman, AL(Zone 7a)

Thanks Terry. I'm off to plant some this morning.
Happy 4th! Doris

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

I have used this mostly in the shade, or simi-shade, the Texas heat and sun seems to burn the varigated type here, and it gets spindly and uggggly...then usually dies. But it does really well in the shade for me.....:o)

Chantilly, VA(Zone 6b)

The vaiegated type does not have the "horsepower" of plain green, not enough chlorphyl, I guess. It is ususally stable, doesn't "green out" like some hostas, etc. On the other hand, it isn't as strong a competitor to tree roots, other plants, etc. It usually is very happy in an average soil condition - all in all a very tough plant.

Cullman, AL(Zone 7a)

Planted in my shade and it has looked great through the summer. Waiting now to see how it carries on through the North Alabama winter.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.