Curly top virus in tomatoes-HELP!!!

Sierra Vista, AZ(Zone 8b)

I have taken the leap this year from home gardener to market (U-Pick) gardener. Some of my tomato plants this year have what I believe to be curly top virus, also known as western yellow blight. I am looking for varieties which are resistant to this. I read in various literature that RowPac, Roza, SaladMaster, Columbia, Owyhee, and Payette varieties show some resistance to this virus. I have searched Dave's plant database and find these varieties listed, but no info is in any of these records. I am looking for any sources of seed for these varieties. I will continue searching the net, but would sure appreciate any leads you may have. I pulled up between 80 to 100 plants this morning infected with this. :-(

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Farmer,

I'm assuming you live in the western part of the US since the insect vector, the beet leafhopper is the major problem. Curly Top isn't seen in the Eastern part of the US.

The only varieties I know that are tolerant ( no such thing as a resistant variety) are the few that have been mentioned online at many places ( can't remember their names), and are available only from the Professor who is working with this disease.

But I've also been told that seeds for these varieties are not available to the public. That's second hand info I'm passing a long to you.

I'm sure you've researched this disease thoroughly so at this point I won't say anymore except to commiserate with you since other than preventative measures re addressing the some 300 hosts for Curly Top there are no cures, as you know.

Carolyn

Sierra Vista, AZ(Zone 8b)

Thank you for your reply Carolyn. Yes I live in Southern Arizona. My search continues, Thanks Again

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.