Killer Garlic

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

This is my single most-requested recipe. I wasn't sure where to put it, but since it is an organic remedy, thought this might do it.

Squeeze the juice from a couple cloves of garlic into water, and let it steep for a day or two. Strain.

Add equal amounts of rubbing alcohol to the garlic-water solution and mix well.

Use 5 parts water to 1 part of the above mix, put in a sprayer, and use it to kill every hard-body and soft-body insect: beetles, grasshoppers, you name it. They die within an hour.

You might want to avoid using it in direct midday sun during the summer; the alcohol can magnify the sun's rays and burn the foliage. Better to use it in the morning or later in the afternoon on plants that are in full sun. I have used the above recipe with no ill-effects on any plant, except as noted.

As with any insecticide, use caution when handling it. Store unused portions in a cool, dark place away from the reach of children. Do not take internally.

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

i will try this out i haven't found anything that will on cucumber beatles other that sevin and that doesn't do that good a of a jog

East Barre, VT(Zone 4a)

lupinelover, I just joined this site today, and my very first post was a plea for an organic solution to squash beetles. Thanks! I'll try this tonight and spray during the week.

East Barre, VT(Zone 4a)

Well, it's still raining in Vermont. I was going to out this morning and spray, and as soon as I had the solution all mixed up, the skies opened up and poured rain. It's stopped now. I'll go try it and let you all know how it turns out.

Cucumber beetles, cabbage beetles, aphids, you name it. Hope it works.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Thanks for that recipe lupinelover. I'll have to try that. We have a lot of grasshoppers I would like to ambush, this could be a lot of fun! (for me anyhow). leisurlee, if you will go to the Welcome Mat forum and introduce yourself you will meet quite a few of the folks here in the big garden. What usually happens is that new people discover that forum after they have been here and posted questions for a week or two, and by then they are old timers so they just start welcoming people themselves. It doesn't take long to feel at home at Davesgarden. I'll just put my welcome to you here.

East Barre, VT(Zone 4a)

Well, I'm happy to report that this stuff worked! It got rid of my squash and cucumber beetles, killed whatever was killing my rosebushes, and even got rid of the cabbage pests that were eating my brussels sprouts. Thank you so much lupinelover for posting this recipe. It's a real keeper.

MaryE. Thanks for the welcome mat tip. I'm on my way over there!

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Two questions for you, Lupy: 1) How much water do you put the cloves of garlic in and 2) Can you use this on houseplants too? Does the garlic smell go away? (Ooops! That's 3 questions!)

Pioneer, CA

Lupinelover, I have garlic in water as I write, I'm so anxious to try this, the grasshoppers are going crazy in my garden, I really do hate those things. Thanks for posting this.
Jacquie

This message was edited Sunday, Aug 31st 1:25 AM

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

Sorry I lost track of this thread :( My bad.

Leisurelee, I am happy to meet you, too :) Dave's Garden is such a great place to be.

NoH20, to answer your questions: I use a fairly small amount of water to dissolve the garlic. I don't measure it, but I put about an inch of water into a pint or quart canning jar. I set it outside in the sun until the water gets all cloudy. Since I grow so much garlic, it is easier for me to make fresh batches every few days, rather than to attempt to store the concentrated liquid. Make sure you dilute it with the extra water! Too much garlic concentrate can damage some plants.

This mixture is very effective and safe on all plants, especially those in the cabbage family that can't tolerate oils, even the lightweight ones. I can't say that I have tried it on my orchids, but only because those have never been seriously attacked. Other houseplants have come through unharmed.

And yes, the smell does dissipate within a short time :) I don't use it indoors, so I cannot say how long it may take, but outside, the smell is gone in under an hour.

I tried it again, after someone said it didn't work for her -- I took a Japanese beetle, put it inside a jar with a lid, sprayed it with the liquid, and put it out of the sun. It took about an hour, but he was sure dead afterward!

East Barre, VT(Zone 4a)

This even works on non-garden bugs. Dirk and I got home yesterday from a hike to discover a disgusting hatch of some fly-like bug crawling all over the front step. he was going to grab the hose and just hose them off, but I stepped over them, grabbed the garlic spray from the mudroom and sprayed them all. Within an hour, all victims, no survivors. Hehehe. Had to wait til the step dried to sweep them away. In any case, what a great recipe!

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

Leisurlee, how great! I think I may try it on an ant queen soon. The ants are really taking over this year. I am going to dig up a hill and spray away, see how it goes.

But when I read your first sentence above, I thought you were going to tell us about some pest PERSON going door to door who happened to get in your way and got sprayed ;D Could that be a solution for telemarketers? Nah, it would make the phone too stinky ;~P

*I do have an odd sense of humor.

East Barre, VT(Zone 4a)

Lupinelover, you cracked me up! I guess we could try it for politicians. They'll smell so bad they'll have to stay away from the memorial and labor day parades, too! You're on to something. My office mates are now wondering why I'm laughing so loud. Better get back to work.

Pioneer, CA

Does this ever work!!! I've had these little black beetle kind of bugs that enter the top of a rose bud and eat through the flower---- hate those things! Last night I sprayed, and this morning I found a whole bunch of them dead. Thank you very much Lupine. I refuse to use chemicals because we are on well water and I don't want poison in the soil that we will drink later.

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

I use it on roses too, because I often consume the petals and/or hips. So I stay far away from chemical pesticides, especially systemics. So glad it worked on your rose pests, dguimo!

Leisurlee, hope that didn't cause too much office hilarity ;~D But a good laugh is the best mini-vacation anyone ever has had! Even better than a nap.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

Do ya s'pose it would work on....Lovebugs????

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.