Zone 7 or lower - Pentas cuttings?

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Has anyone had success in taking Pentas cuttings succesfully and overwintering them? I'm 5b and love them but thought I remember someone saying it's hard to do. Advice?

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Always look at our database, too!
http://plantsdatabase.com/go/239/

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Right you are Vi.....I always do but despite the comments I had a GH owner on DG tell me they were hard to get cuttings to root. Was just looking to see if anyone had personal experience overwintering indoors in my cooler climate zone. I've already decided to try it this fall.

Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

I don't know about cuttings, but I should think you would be able to overwinter them indoors if you can get them to root. I live in coastal Northern CA (zone 9) and pentas will winter outside -- both of mine came back nicely. If they can survive our very cool, damp winters they should do nicely indoors for you by a bright window.

Good luck! Let us know how your experiment turns out.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the encouragement jk. Will post my results next season.

Penfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I have overwintered pentas. I had one in a pot on the patio and just brought it in. Put it upstairs where the temperature is low but it got lots of light. It survived but did not flower all winter. Then toward spring I took a cutting and rooted it in seed starter mix. It took a long long time to develop roots. I put it in the garden and it is growing but very slowly. The potted one is now starting to bloom. I'm thinking it needs some fertilizer as it is in a pot. Hope this encourages you to go for it. They are really nice plants.

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the encouragement Trillium Girl. I figured I'd try to pot it up and bring it in after reading a bit more. My upstairs is where I thought I'd put it too as I have a good southern exposure in an area of my room.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.