Wonder what this is?

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

I planted some unknown gourd seeds and had not paid any attention to them. Yesterday I went out and look what I saw!

Thumbnail by weeds
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Cool! That's my favorite gourd shape, and the one I use most in my crafts. I'm not a gourd expert, but it might be a bottle gourd. I cannot grow them, so have to resort to buying dried gourds... sigh.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Oh boy! I don't care what kind, just want some to grow and make it through the varmits, weather, etc. Why can't you grow them?

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

weeds, I cannot grow anything in the squash family. The squash borers get 'em too quickly. Maybe the next house! I did grow gourds for 2-3 years but never got any much larger than an apple before they were done in...

Burlington, ON(Zone 6a)

This looks like the Bird House Gourds I grew last and this year.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

I am sure the squash borers will be after mine too but I am keeping fingers crossed!

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

OH, how exciting! It's got to be even bigger now!!! I just saw your post.

Someone will have a nice new cozy home next year :) If you have an updated photo, do post, 'kay weeds?

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Here's a picture of my extra long handled vines that are growing right now. I've cut off the pollinated fruit since I'd like to grow one or two long ones from higher up.

Thumbnail by Morph

Can anyone tell me how large the birdhouse gourds will get? This is my first year and I several small ones but two that are really large.I wish I had a digital camera so I could show these.

This message was edited Monday, Jul 14th 5:16 PM

Crossville, TN

Gourdhead....welcome to Dave's Garden....you will love it here...go to the Welcome Mat and introduce yourself to all.

The Birdhouse Gourds I grew last year didn't get really tall....before the Javalinas came along and chewed on them....AFTER the grasshoppers ate the leaves off the vines!! I painted one into a Snow Man that I love. It is posted some where on here. It only got to about 8"high, but they get bigger. Will try to find it. Jo

Found it:
http://davesgarden.com/t/368480/

This message was edited Monday, Jul 14th 5:44 PM

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

It is bigger now and I will post a pic soon...have company so am busy.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Looks like a tiny bottle to me. Is it about 4 - 6" long?
Regular bottles get very big. 12 - 14" high, 6 - 8" Dia.
#1 son just looked at picture & said a birdhouse gourd.
Bernie

This message was edited Wednesday, Jul 16th 8:36 PM

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Welcome to Dave's Gourdhead! Love your snowman RR.
My gourd is close to a foot long now. Have several more so am also hoping the varmits don't get them. Thanks #1son for the ID.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Update: have 3 vines, 8 gourds ranging in size from 5 inches to a foot long. I think they are all the same, one might be different. Will post pics when i can, have a broken leg and can't handle the camera and the crutches! I keep falling down just trying to walk....I don't dare chew gum!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.