Hydrangea Wilting??

North Saanich, Canada

Temperature about 27 degrees today. This poor hydrangea got hit hard with heat of 33 degrees a few weeks ago, and lot sof the leaves are crumbling. Now today, these flowers look like they are wilting. Is that what is happening?? OR is it getting too much or too little water??
Thanks for your help.

Glenda

Thumbnail by ggd
Willamette Valley-OS, OR(Zone 8a)

Glenda-
It Looks like it is NOT Getting Enough Water.
And when You did Water the Sun hit it and Burned the Leaves.
We have Several Hydrangeas Starting to Bloom...and when they are getting ready to Bloom...Through their Bloom Cycle they Need ALOT of Water for Good Bloom and to keep the Limbs and Flowers from wilting, and Falling to the Ground. If it gets hit with Full Sun(High Temps), they will also Wilt as in the Picture...but should recover in the Evening Hours. I Would let the Garden Hose Trickle at the Base of the Plant for Quite awhile.
I'm Sure it's just Stressed from the Heatwave and a Lack of Water.
Oh by the Way...I have found that Hydrangeas do Much Better in Dappled Shade to Half Shade. The Direct Sun is a Definate Problem for Hydrangeas!

ZZ.

This message was edited Sunday, Jun 29th 6:28 AM

North Saanich, Canada

Thanks ZZ. Would you believe it is perfectly fine this morning. As a matter of fact, only a couple of hours after I posted this, it was looking almost normal. And it looks great this morning. I guess it just does not like that heat, and is not used to it. As far as watering, it has drip irrigation on it and gets watered regularly every evening, so the watr shouldn't be the problem. But I just wasn't sure.

THANKS!!

Glenda

rural, WY(Zone 3a)

Yeah, Hydrangeas are weird for that. They don't like the heat and always wilt, but come back nicely for the most part. It is true they also do well in part shade. But don't worry about it, it's just over dramatic.

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

I just want to second the amount of sun these plants need. As I have moved several around the house for years, one spot seems to be best. One with morning sun 'til 11 and no more during the day. This isn't easy, as I want to grow many varieties and just can't. Unless I were to water everyday, and this is not the type of garden plant I want. As ZZ says, dappled is best.

El Sobrante, CA(Zone 9b)

My hydrangea (in a pot) has not bloomed, but grew fabulously over the winter/spring. It's in most shade (morning sun for an hour or two then that's it) and it's leaves got really burned one day. :o( I came home and it was just cooked. So it's eeking along recovering now but I'm not sure what it needs really - it's got as much shade as I have to offer. I do need to pot it up. And I haven't got the drip irrigation going since we moved, which it really likes. Oi!

:o) Judith

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.