Dove Tree

Battle Ground, WA(Zone 8a)

I'm curious if any of you have grown a Dove Tree - variously known as a Handkerchief tree or a Ghost tree. If you have, I'd love to know how long it took between the time you planted it and its first bloom. Some of the articles tell me it could be 15 years! Is that really true? Also, what are the differences between the Robinia Pseudoacacia Frisia and the Sunburst Honeylocust? Again, are the habits substantially different, or the up and downsides?

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Sorry, I've never grown a dove tree - it's not hardy in my zone (bummer). There is a selection called 'Sonoma', I think, that will bloom while in a 5 gallon pot. It also has much larger "flowers" than the species. If you plant the species, you could wait a few years to see it bloom.

Regarding Robina 'Frisia' and Gleditsia 'Sunburst'. 'Frisia' will retain its golden color all season. 'Sunburst' has growth that starts out gold and turns green after a couple of weeks. New growth on the 'Sunburst' is always gold. 'Frisia' has much larger leaflets than 'Sunburst'. 'Frisia' is usually grafted on plain Robinia understock and may have a tendency to sucker. I have never seen a 'Sunburst' locust sucker.

Both are nice trees. It just depends on whether you want a tree that is gold all year or not.
Good luck,
Mike

Battle Ground, WA(Zone 8a)

What I've heard about Sunburst is that it gets covered with a kind of critter like aphids, and that they in turn drip all over whatever is underneath them, but that the Frisia is free from that. Last weekend I saw a gorgeous flower bed with a Frisia planted in a triangle on different spots of the bed. It was in a rather shaded garden - gorgeous! I bought a Dove Tree, but my only choice was the classic Davidia Involucrata. According to what all I both hear and read, these are not common, and somewhat hard to get. So I was excited even to run across them. The one I purchased is about 10' for starters, so hopefully it will bloom a bit quicker than a decade! Thanks for your very helpful input!
Bill

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.