Signing on from Australia

Churchill, Victoria, Australia(Zone 10a)

I discovered Dave's Garden back in March, when searching for information on a plant. I noticed then that there were many plants on the site without photographs and I started searching through my collection of photographs and adding my pictures to some of the vacant spaces.
I am more of a naturalist than a gardener, but have been seeking and photographing wild flowers everywhere I go since back in the 1960's. I now have a slide collection of over 4000 species of plants, together with 1500 species of animals and some 300 fungi.
I was born in England and my earliest plant pictures are all from England, but we moved to Australia in 1973, first to Hobart in Tasmania and then in 1985 we moved here to Churchill in Victoria.
I also spent a year on a teaching exchange in Kelowna in British Columbia, Canada in 1997-8, during which I explored the local flora as thoroughly as I could, before driving via San Francisco, across the USA to Maine, before flying on to England on the way back to Australia.
This explains the wide range of different plants that I have photographed.
Our garden here is 3/4 acre, which when we arrived was a bare paddock, except for 5 or 6 large Eucalyptus trees along the back boundary. I have been gradually adding more and more shrubberies and the garden is now becoming quite crowded, so that we seem to spend more time cutting back the rampant growth than planting new plants.
Most of my plantings are of Australian trees and shrubs, but we do include quite a lot of exotic species, especially roses, which are a favourite of my wife's.
I also work with our local Morwell National Park, and a couple of other groups on revegetation projects and I have been the major seed collector for all of these groups.
I also spend some of my time making marquetry items, (pictures created from wood veneers) and my designs are all based on my photographs of flowers and animals. I recently posted a picture of a coaster I made with a wax-lips orchid flower (Glossodia major) to the database. Herewith is a picture of another coaster, with a local Katydid as the subject (not a flower this time).
I have already greatly appreciated the exchanges I have already had with other Dave's Garden subscribers and look forward to sharing a love for plants with you all.

Thumbnail by kennedyh
Lindale, TX(Zone 8a)

Hello and welcome to you from East Texas. What an interesting background. I look forward to seeing your photos and learning from your experiences. I also love that coaster.
Bill

A very hearty welcome, kennedyh! It's a pleasure to greet you and am glad that you have joined this wonderful garden.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Welcome from south west Kentucky!

I have enjoyed your PDB images for some time now,and am thrilled that you are now in the main Garden with the rest of us.

You are a valuable asset to DG and I hope to see you round the forums.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Welcome from the dry side of Oregon! Thanks for joining to share all your pictures and knowledge with us.

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

a warm welcome to you from South Louisiana! You are gonna love it here.
Cheri'

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Welcome from So. California. I have enjoyed your photos in the PDB for awhile now, and I'm glad you have finally joined our great garden site. Your wood pieces are lovely.

Donna

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

Welcome from Ohio :)
Hope to get to chat with you sometime

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Welcome to D's G, kennedyh! A wealth of information and generosity presides here. I just love all these people from all around the world. I now have an international circle of friends. You must have passed right by my place going south to SF. We are in Vancouver, Washington right off I-5.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Welcome Ken! I'm so glad you decided to subscribe :) I'm interested in hearing about the park you work at sometime. There's also a wildlife forum here on DG if you should happen to feel like posting some of your critter photos.

Woodburn, OR(Zone 8a)

Welcome from the wet side of Oregon! I'm looking forward to seeing more pics!

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

Welcome! It will be nice to have a perspective from Australia (down under). Maybe we can now learn a bit of the vocabulary. We already know how to do shrimp on the barbie (sp?).

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Hi from Florida..glad you joined us, this is a great place to visit.

Churchill, Victoria, Australia(Zone 10a)

Thank you all for your kind greetings, I look forward to many more discussions with you all.

Crossville, TN

welcome to the best garden on the Web...We have a lovely member from Melborne....Wonder-from-downunder....she keeps me in some kind of a fun "adventure" all the time!! Perhaps you two will meet sometime....Jo

columbia, SC(Zone 8b)

it sounds like you have alot to give to DG kennedyh,welcome , I am new here but hope to make alot of new friends and find this site to be so helpful.

Bark River, MI

Kennedydyh - welcome! I'm pretty new here myself; my nephew is an "exchange pilot" to Australia for the Air Force (who knew they did that?) -- I'd sure like to come visit there, we're about at opposite ends of the earth! You've found a wonderful garden web site, glad you're here!
>>Sandy

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Add the welcome of another newbie to the list!

Melissa in Southern Ohio

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.