A new bloom

Albany, MO(Zone 5a)

I planted this bareroot last fall,,and naturally I didn't save the name tag. The plant is still very small and this is the only bloom, held high above the foliage. I'm sure you guys can name it....right?

Thumbnail by MossRose
Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

well I can tell you it isnt a Geranium or a Pelargonium. I dont know the plant

Albany, MO(Zone 5a)

Isn't a Geranium!!?!?!?! It's suppose to be a Geranium...and the leaves certainly look like a Geranium...hmmm...its raining right now, but as soon as I can I'll take a pic of the leaves... For some reason the name Samboor keeps popping in my mind,,,but that could be Old Timers Disease...again...

Albany, MO(Zone 5a)

Well, I did a little research...I think its suppose to be G. phaeum Samobor,,,although the bloom photo's of that are darker maroon. Perhaps I have it in too much shade? Its on the north side of my house, with plenty of light but little direct sunlight.. Still think it isn't a Geranium? I'll be so mad if it isn't!!! Does the whole world mislabel plants!!???

phaeum has large leaves with big dark blotches on them and are very striking. The flowers are held on tall stems. the colour I can remember just now

Bolton, Greater Manc, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Moss rose MArk is right. This is definatly not a Hardy geranium. Is it a heuchera by any chance? the flowers sort of remind me of one but without a photo of the leaves its hard to say. And yes mislabelling is rife wherever you go!!

the leaves http://www.overthegardengate.net/garden/archives/template.asp?linkid=1900&linkcat=Hardy+Geraniums

Samabor flowers are a dark plum like the species.

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Hi MossRose
I agree with mark - not a geranium
Here's a link to what G phaeum looks like - complete with Samobor leaves http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&q=Geranium+phaeum

Not sure what plant you have there, but no hardy geraniums are red (yet, lol)

actually philomel G.Caespitosum comes in a scarlett red form.

never heard of it. have you a photo?

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Ooops I stand corrected :)
I look forward to seeing one if you have a photo or know where I can see one

Unfortunatly I do not have one but I have seen some. Robin Parer showed them when she gave a talk in Sheffield last year. I know that she has grown it too. She also gave me the contact for the guy who collects them from the wild but I have lost it!! :(

here is a close up of a phaeum 'Samobor' leaf

Thumbnail by mark
Albany, MO(Zone 5a)

Psilo,,I think you're right,,I think its a heuchera,,here's a photo of the leaves..... I always keep the shipping papers so I'm going to try to find this one,,,maybe get the right one...

Thumbnail by MossRose

yes mossrose I would say that it is definatly a heuchera. At least now the mystery is solved! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.