Need identifying help

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

Hi I seen this Caterpillar on my plant and would like to know what type it is? I see it's eating big holes in my beautiful plants. :( I don't really want to get rid of it though unless it's one of those mean stinging things. lol

We get some white stinging cats here, but this one looks prettier then I remember.

Thanks for your help,
lauraM

Thumbnail by LauraM
Montezuma, NM(Zone 5b)

Laura,
Is this really the catapiller or did your photo not come out right? Looks like a catapiller ghost!
kokopelli

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

ha ha... that's really a catapiller kokopelli. It's white as can be and it looks so soft and fluffy. I just want to touch it, but I know better then that.

lauraM

Montezuma, NM(Zone 5b)

Man, I've never seen anything like it. It almost looks like you used photo software to pull just the catepillar out. Must be cool!
cj

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

Hey CJ,
Yes, it's very cool. I can't wait to see what it turns out to be. It sure is liking those cannas They have so many holes in them. It makes clear holes right through the leave. Like perfect holes then moves on to another leave.
I think it must be a perfectionist caterpillar or something. ha ha...

I'll try and keep my eye on it and take a few more pictures to capture what it becomes. I'll post them to let you see.
Have a good night,
lauraM

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Laura, are the holes made in a straight line? There is a skipper butterfly that is called a leaf roller that loves canna and one ID is the straight rows of holes...

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Any update on this fellow?

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm pretty sure that's some sort of moth. Skipper caterpillars, aka leafrollers, feed on cannas but they aren't fuzzy (or wooly if you prefer) like this guy. They tend to be very smooth and green with a large head like the ones shown on Caterpillars of Eastern Forests:
http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/2000/cateast/skippers.htm

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.