Anyone know this bird?

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

There must be a nest in the shade tree that shades my houseplants because everytime I go to check and/or water them, this bird squawks like I was a monster coming to get the nest. It's about 2-1/2 inches long, and this is the best pic I could get.

My bird books have already been packed, so I have no reference material. Thanks!

edited for spelling, LOL

This message was edited Thursday, Jun 19th 3:23 PM

Thumbnail by darius
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

That's a great picture! But I've no idea what the bird is

FDloridan, the picture was taken using the telephoto thing on my digicam... otherwise you'd have just seen a brown blur in the hedge.

Looks like a Wren to me. They can be loud and fussy.
And there beaks are longer than a sparrow beak.
Nice picture.

Penfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I believe it is a Carolina Wren. They are a little larger than a house wren and have much prettier coloration. The female and male are the same in appearance. I had a pair all winter and have seen them around the yard recently but they are at their most northern range here. They are one of my favorites.

Thanks. After your suggestions, I looked it up on Google Images. It is a wren, probably the carolins wren.

Silver Lake, OH(Zone 5b)

I think it is a wren. There are several different troglodytes and they are fun to have around. The male and female both build the nest and both feed the babies. They make a very loud scolding sound like a hissing and clicking when they fuss at an intruder... and a beautiful trilling almost victorious song when they are joyous, which is all the time.

They are considered very good luck! They come as far north as our place in zone 5b but not till June or so and they leave in August for warmer places to raise their second families of the year.

To tell which wren try this website that has their calls recorded!
http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~tony/birds/wrens.html

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

I would agree with the ID of a wren. For such small birds, they can make quite the ruckus!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.