Grinding out a stump

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I had a stump from a very large pine, about 30" in diameter, and maybe 14" tall. Since I'm getting the house ready to sell, my agent suggested having someone grind out the stump. The man came with a machine small enough to get through the arched walkway and charged just $50 to grind it all up! He left a wonderful pile of mulch for me to use.

I wish I had taken a photo while he was working, but he's coming back to get 2 big surface roots he missed and I'll take one then and post it here.

I had no idea it would be so cheap, and do so little damage to the yard, or I'd have done it years ago when they took down the tree. (I just didn't want a large machine in the yard to pull out the stump.)

Here's the Stump Grinder, back to take out a couple of large roots he missed. Quite an operation!

Thumbnail by darius
Chaplin, CT(Zone 5b)

that is cheap, I had 2 that size taken out, it was 200.00. I have a pine tree stump. 5 feet across, I had ground out, but no bill yet. Things are expensive in CT.

Puplover, to be fair, after the fact the stump man said it should have been $75, but he couldn't see all the roots and quoted too low. He wouldn't take the extra $25.

Yes, I know everything is more costly in the NE. Prpbably why so many are moving to Asheville, LOL! I had an office in Darien once, but could not have afforded to live in the area. I lived in Annapolis then, which was expensive but not as much so as CT was.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Darius, We had 2 stumps. One 3 yrs and the other 1 year and I kept putting if off just assuming it would be gobs of $. A neighbor gave me a # of a guy they described as very reasonable and for $50 the 1st stump and $75 the other which was much bigger and deeper and he had to use his smaller grinder on the 2nd because it was in our backyard and the gate would not let his big rig in. That I understand is the going rate around here. Geezzzzz! I couldn't believe it. I was so sure $300-$400 were the rates. Never assume. Think I would learn.

anastatia, sounds like me, LOL. You'd think by now I would have learned NOT to make assumptions either. Usually they end up getting me in trouble, especially when I make assumptions about people.

Chaplin, CT(Zone 5b)

Darius, the five foot wide stump cost 220.00.

Wow, puplover... lots of $$ for that stump!

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

I had to hire a track hoe to remove all my stumps. We had taken out 44 trees here when we moved in because they were dead or dying or I was allergic or they were in the wrong site. The track hoe was here for three days doing the stumps, cleaning up the side of my pond, scraping my corral area, digging my pond, moving in a couple of buildings, and general road work. Total bill was $900. I was thrilled with all we got done and wish I had the money to have him back now for more stuff.

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

I forgot to add that the cottonwood stump was 8 feet across with roots to #$)($# and took him almost 8 hours to remove because of the root system next to the natural pond. The track hoe driver/owner said he had NEVER had a tree that was that hard to remove and he took 6 hours off the books because he decided that he was determined to remove it. I kept telling him to leave it and we would burn it. Now I am sure glad he stuck with removing it.

Chaplin, CT(Zone 5b)

everything is more expensive here

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.