Questions from a tomato dummy...

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

OK, I've decided to take over the tomato plants. Because of preparing to move, we have only 3 heirlooms, each in 20 gal. tubs.

I think they need prunijg, but don't know how.

We also don't iknow what varieties, since the boys who cleaned the gutters knocked them all out of their marked seed trays. 2 are potato leaf, probably something in the brandywines... I think we had Pink Brandywines, and Joyce's Brandywine. The other may be Old Virginia, or Cherokee Purple.

Any help available?

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

The CP is Regular leaf,and when the fruit ripens,it will look like nothing else.That one will be easy.
The Brandies are harder,as conditions will make subtle changes that another gardener may not have.I'd just enjoy the harvest and not worry so much about seeds this year.

The less you prune off of a tomato,the better.Some folks swear by pinching the suckers,but I just take off the bottom foliage to keep soil splash from getting on them.If you have containers...that's not as much of an issue.

If they are in 20 gal tubs,how tall are they? I'd try to move them intact,if possible.Take a wheeled Dolly and roll them into an enclosed truck if you have one,then roll them out into their new home.If you don't have an enclosed vehicle,wrap the cages with blankets and wedge them in somewhere that the wind won't whip them around.Maybe between the refrigerator and something else tall.

If they are short enough to put a box over them...by all means ,do.

If you get some broken branches in the move,then prune those back. See what you end up with once you get them to the new place.I'd rather cut then,as before they leave.

Thanks, melody. I do not expect to have to move them anytime soon, as the house won't be listed for another week, and who knows how long it will take to sell. They are only about 12" tall right now (late start). I will move them in an enclosed truck, though, when it comes to moving them.

Here are my tomatoes in their pots... first time doing tomatoes in pots rather than in the ground. I'll post pics later in the season as to how they are doing...

Thumbnail by darius
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

They're lookin' good from where I stand, darius!

I seldom prune mater plants. Was thinking you could just put cages around your pots and let the plants roll! Good job so far!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I'm with Shoe...those look great,and I'd cage them right in the pots.

Should I assume just to wrap woven wire around the pot, or would a store-bought tomato cage (large) be enough?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Those store-bought cages have never been large enuff for me (altho I do have a few I use for pepper plants).

I'd put some good wire around the pot...all those plants you have will get of good size.

Thanks, 'Shoe. :)

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

You might even put a couple of stakes in the pot.Not for the tomato,but for the cage.I'd zip-tie the cage to the posts.This would make it more stable,especially if you might be moving before harvest is over.Also,when you put your wire around your pots,remember that some tomatoes can get pretty big,and allow for the eventual size.It's heartbreaking to have a 2 pounder that you can't get between the wires...been there ,done that.Well,I just cut me a bigger hole,but it could have been prevented.The 6" fencing seems to be the best for me.

They seem to be growing well. I couldn't find 6" wire except in 100' rolls, but will keep trying. Meanwhile, I have stakes in the pots.

Thumbnail by darius
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

You might keep your eyes open and catch someone cleaning out an old fence row. The wire won't be very shiney or pretty,but it will serve the purpose and most likely be free for the taking.If you purchase new wire,it will look just like it in a year or two anyway. I figure stuff like that has 'character' and use it with gusto.

By the way,your tomatoes are looking quite healthy and happy in their pots.

Thanks, Melody!

Brazil, IN(Zone 5a)

Beautiful tomato plants darius! Tracy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.