Hmmmm, Which one???

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

This Bluebird looks like it's a bit confused on which house it wants, But actually, It already has a 'Bluebird house' choosen. They are using my purple martin gourd house pole for a look-out point LOL.

Thumbnail by IRIS
Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

and do Martins use these even though they are very bright?

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Mark, Don't know yet for my area, this is the first year that I've had them up and it's been a rainy cool season so far, But, I know Martins 'do' like white houses, Especially gourds!
I've had tree swallows nesting every year in a huge white compartment birdhouse that I have ~ That is untill I decided to paint it a different color! Last year I only had one pair that would nest in it, So I want to try and paint it white again this year!
If the weather ever stays warm enough and it stops raining long enough, I'm still hoping for a shot at getting some purpe martins, Though I have my doubts seeing that it's so late in the season now for them, But, You can never tell sometimes! I didn't think the bluebirds would be back again ths year, But they are, So I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Martins!

Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

Too cool...I was just perusing the Monticello site and happened across "Martin-pots" this week. Never heard of them before. It tweeked my interest and I was going to check and see if we had Martins in Washington. Decided I was going to put up a Bird Bottle...Martins or not and see if I'd be lucky enough to get a feathered inhabitant.

Here is what was written about the Pots:

Bird bottles, called "martin-pots" in colonial times, were hung beneath the eaves of buildings to encourage martins and other small birds to roost there and help with insect control.

Posting a pic of one you can purchase from Monticello. I have lots of pottery...I collect water pitchers, so I'm going to use one of them for my Martin/bird pot.

I'm attempting to grow birdhouse gourd this years..seedlings coming up fast...just hope they'll produce in my area. Your gourdhouse pole is awesome! I sure would love to have one in my yards. Thank for sharing your photo!!

Thumbnail by WaWild1
Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

Seems they like White...because this pic is of another replica from Colonial times.

Thumbnail by WaWild1
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

WaWild1, I never heard of a 'Martin pot' before, That's definately different! I pretty sure swallows would use them, But not sure about the martins ( They usually like there house kinda high) Question for you ~ How do you attach the pottery to the spot your going to put it??
Pottery can't be drilled can it? ~ I've never tried before, So I have no idea when it comes to pottery. Wouldn't mind trying it out though and seeing what would use it! ( I'm sure something would, I always have plenty of nest's around here from all different types of birds and animals LOL) Thank's for posting the pic's, It looks neat!

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

WaWild1, I don't think we have Martins here in Wash. at least I never could see any. Had a Martin house at my other place. there are lots of Tree Swallows tho. Hope you attract Martins. Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.