Hollyhocks

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

My favorite hollyhocks are starting to bloom. I plan to pull these out this fall and start over with a new rust resistant variety, plus expand the beds to allow for planting flowers in front of my hollyhocks.

With the wet winter and spring, I fought a long battle with rust. However, the spraying and leaf picking seemed to have worked. Nat

Thumbnail by nathalyn

They are beautiful!! How tall are they?
Your yard is so pretty-makes me think cottage garden.

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Well, the fence is 4 ft. high - - so that would make the tallest ones about 7 ft high. I also have some Russian perennial (pale yellow) hollyhocks that only grow to about 6 ft., and won't bloom for another couple of weeks.

Here's another shot that shows the view from my back porch. It's kind of cool here, but I pulled out a jacket and ate my breakfast out there this morning.

When the cooler temperatures and all the rain that we have had, everything is very green and lush, a nice change from our normal hot weather.

Thumbnail by nathalyn

The view is gorgeous!!
Thank you for sharing your pictures-sure brighten my day.

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

I don't suppose that you want to share some of my slugs??? Big Smile....

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

your battle with rust certainly has paid off. they are beautiful. please post a picture of the yellow, when they bloom. could you save me some seeds from the yellow?
someone gave me some, but none of them germinated :-(

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

debi - - will be glad to save you some seed or can send you some of what I ordered from Swallowtail Seeds. I ordered Russian Yellow and Antwerp from them, and will not need it all, as their seed usually all germinates. Would you want some of the Antwerp Variety also? Both are perennial and rust resistant.
http://www.swallowtailgardenseeds.com/perennials/hollyhocks.html

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Nat, Can't wait to see these in person!

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Eanders2, Hopefully,the pale yellows will be in bloom by the time you come over. Of course, these photos don't show the slug damage......some things are better from a distance.

Everytime, I look at my hollyhocks I remember reading that hollyhocks were used to "adorn" outhouses in Victorian days so that genteel ladies could find the privy without having to ask for directions. Maybe I should invest in a yard art outhouse (NON- functional of course). :)

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Why nonfunctional? It would save muddy footprints in the house when we dash in from gardening to answer the call!

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Surely there is some kind of zoning restriction (I hope) that would prevent a functional outhouse. I have memories of using outhouses and wondering, "just what IS down in that hole?"
Just sign me, "City Girl Nat"

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

nat,
i would love some of both types of seeds. i'll send an email. debi z

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Debi, here's a picture of a Russian Yellow bloom...Nat

Thumbnail by nathalyn
Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

LOL, City Girl Nat! That is one scary memory!
Yard looks wonderful! So this is where you've been hiding!

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Vi, I'm not hiding if you know where to look. I'm the one with hoe in one hand, garden hose in the other hand, frizzy hair (due to all this rain), and a BIG smile.

AND even city girls can grow flowers.......

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

You sure can ;~D

Mcallen, TX(Zone 8a)

Hollyhock leaves were by the outhouses because they were the old-fashioned version of today's "Charmin". There is also some natural chemical in hollyhock/malva leaves whch soothes the skin......

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Lavanda, I wouldn't have ever imagined that, as the fine hairs on the hollyhock stems leave me itching for days. I try to wear long sleeves when I cut the stems down. My curiosity is peaked now - - will check out the leaves tomorrow.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.