my new garden scoot

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

This was my birthday present, to myself, this year. I haven't used it yet, but I plan to. It has wheels, so when you get on it, there is no need to get up and down, as much. I have had a bench, which gets me to where I need to be, but I constantly have to get up to move the thing. The scoot can be moved along without having to get up. And the seat swivels...I saw it in a cataloge and just had to have one. I can't kneel, and bending over, gets old fast.

Thumbnail by melvatoo
Brazil, IN(Zone 5a)

oooohhhhhh i love it!!! let me know if it works as good as it looks like it will, I'm using a 5 gal. bucket upside down with a pillow at the moment, bad for the knees getting up and down to move it, wonder if you could attach a basket to it? like on the back of a bike for some tools? oops looks like there's a space for tools under the seat, that'll work. What catalog did you see it in? Tracy

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

I saw it in Gardener's Supply. The tray underneath, is for tools, I am not sure how well, that will work. I will report on the effectiveness of this creature, I guess need to name it.

http://www.gardeners.com/default.asp?SC=XNET8005&SC=XNET8005

Brazil, IN(Zone 5a)

Thanks so much will be awaiting your effectiveness report on the weed-n-seat? Tracy

barrington, IL(Zone 5a)

i have been looking at the same little scooter at costco. i have the other kind that is more like a little wagon. the down side with mine is that if you slide your bum too far forward or backwards you can flip the whole thing over. flipping over backwards wasn't too bad as i have plenty of padding in that area(hehehe). however, i flipped forwards once and bending my artificial knee that far was very painful and a little scary. also, the small wheels have a tendency to get stuck in my soft soil. in spite of everything i did manage to get nine tomato plants planted, along with two types of lettuce, two types of onions, some brussel sprouts and flowers. it took a lot longer than usual to plant as i did it all by sort of hopping along on my derriere.

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Grammy, you are my kind of gardener: if there is soil and seeds or plants, you will find a way!

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

I haven't found a seat like this that is tall enough for me to be able to get up when I am done. I drag a old-fashioned metal milk can around the garden to sit on. That way I can hoe, plant, or just sit and look. So far I haven't found a way to take it into the pond though. :(

Today I went into the pond dragging the canoe along behind me for putting my weeds into and to rest leaning on it. Worked great for the big pond (half acre) but still can't do the stuff in the small pond. I will figure it out though. At least when we made the small pond we put in a flight of low rising stairs under the waterfall so I could have easy acess.

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

Report on the scooter: it works great, when you are going in a straight line, like down a row. Unfortunately, my yard doesn't have many of those. And the transportation of the thing...haven't worked that out, yet. It is a substantial thing, and pretty heavy, still working on that aspect. It does manage to get me low enough to do things in the dirt, and it is a good height to get up and the seat swivels, which is great. I give it an 8, so far. Now, we need to name the thing....ideas?

can you attach a rope to the front of it and pull it along to the next weeding site?

Since you called it Scoot maybe it should remain that. I like that name anyway since it sounds like you are going FAST LOL

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

wow my garden isnt big enough for one but it sur is cute. have fun with it. Imzadi

imzadi, you can come here and help in my huge yard. That way you can get a scoot to scoot around on.

Brooklet, GA(Zone 8a)

oh, i must get one of these. my 5 gal bucket makes the booty hurt, lol.

Silver Lake, OH(Zone 5b)

I wonder if there is a way to attach an umbrella to this thing? I woke up this morning wondering just that since I'm on medicine that is keeping me out of the sun and I have so much yard work to do!!!

A huge beach or golf umbrella attached somehow would make it soooo cool for me.

Any ideas?

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Great scooter to assist you in the garden! Is there anywhere to hang a container or basket to hold your gardening tools so that it would not touch the ground?

Janiejoy - I would try to attach an umbrella that clamps on to beach chairs. Not only is there an adjustable mechanism that allows you to control what you are attaching the umbrella to, but you could garden in full sun or light rain equally as easily!

OH BOY! I can see me riding that scooter with an umbrella to shield me in all types of weather & carrying a lot of my smaller gardening tools! I may NEVER go into the house until nightfall!!! Wonder if there is a way to rig a flashlight to that great gardening scooter???? HHHMMM, now you've got me thinkin' that I need one of those tooo!!!! Where did you say you found that wonderful gardening vehicle???

Maybe you can still find one of those hats in a store that sells silly things that has the umbrella attached to it. And then wear a long sleeved shirt and long pants.

I wonder how to get up after a person has been on one of these for any length of time when you are as stiff and sore as I am with the fibro and arthritis? I need something much higher from the ground which is why I like my winged weeder so well. sigh Ohhh for the days that I could spend on my knees weeding and planting. Right now I still have petunias in their six packs that aren't planted yet because it is too hard to get down to do it and then too hard to get back up. LOL sometimes I feel like a beached whale.

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Ponditis, I often run into this stiffness problem, so if you find a real solution, be sure to let me know. Even sitting long enough to have a cup of tea will sometimes make me too stiff to get up without great difficulty. And I remember plopping down anywhere with the greatest of ease, popping back up with equal ease. I never thought I would become so creaky when I was known for agility and limberness. Remember back bends? I groan just thinking of doing those, and standing on my head, then smoothly dropping down and getting on my feet? Cartwheels, tumbling over and over, oh, the fun, and now oh the pain. I wish I had done even more when I was younger. And this loss of agility came almost overnight.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Ponditis

I would send in a suggestion to the company that manufactures these great scooters. Perhaps, they may consider investing in a scooter that could be manually raised for people that need the seat height higher to help them from a sitting to a standing position!

Remember, all it takes is one well "planted" suggestion to help the "seed" thrive & grow!!!

Brazil, IN(Zone 5a)

Aimee and Pond if you find the answer please share with me! Would be wonderful right now DH or DS have to help me up after sitting on my bucket to tend my raised beds. If they aren't home I can't go out cause I'm afraid I won't get back up! Sympathize with your petunia's pond I still have plants in the sunroom to go out I've resorted to containers on the porch at the moment! Tracy

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

I just sent an e-mail to Gardener's Supply (where I got the scoot) I included the link to this thread. I bet they will respond. I will let you all, know.

super idea Melva! Thanks for the hopeful help in a solution to ours and many gardeners problems. Wouldn't it be super if they sent us a gift certificate for the first ones built of a handicapped scoot? I would buy one especially if it also included a place to put your tools that would be easy to reach.

Aimee, I used to do tumbling and ballet and then in high school I was on track and field and ran the hurdles, threw discus and shot put. Now I am lucky if I throw my back out when it is already out which means then that I have thrown it back in. giggle. Ohh for the days when I could turn cartwheels down the whole city block and rolling completely down a mountainside in Montana just because I could. Now I would just roll myself into a hospital bed for a stay of a duration of time.

Most of my flower beds are also raised beds which makes it much easier to take care of them but still there are the chores that really seem to need you to get down and dirty. Ohhh how I miss being able to kneel down and just pull that one weed and pop back up like a person should be able to do. LOL Pop goes the back, knees, hip, ankles, etc. LOLOLOL

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

I used to get down on the ground to weed and plant, etc. I always had something to help me back up. Since my knee surgery I don't bend very well, and I am afraid to get down on the ground...what if I can't get, back up?
Anyway, I already got a response from the e-mail, just an acknowlegement they got it. I hope to hear from them this week.
Unlike some of you, I was never very limber. I think I have had joint problems all my life, and just didn't know about it. I used to think my joint problems were due to my weight...now, I am begining to think my joints (and inability to move easily) are the reason I gained weight.

Brazil, IN(Zone 5a)

melvatoo - gaining weight is easy to do when you can't move easily to work off what we eat I also have the same problem plus if you're like me when i get stressed or bored i eat so that compounds the problem. LOL Tracy

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

I got a reply to my suggestions for the scoot. They don't manufacture the product, so they can't directly change it, BUT she said they will voice the suggestions to the manufacturer, and they said in the email to thank "my friends for their ideas" Thanks, Guys.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

i think it needs a drink holder. gotta have that iced tea or water when you are out there gardening, to keep you cooled down.
i started gardening when i was disabled already. no knees for me, but i can bend. in the spring i can't do it as well, but i often have to bend one knee or the other. but then one day i was in the shower and bent over to have the water go down my back and low and behold my fingers almost touched the floor. for someone who hasn't been able to exercise in 10 years, that is a miracle. right now my palms can reach the floor. so a little bending turns into a lot of limberness over time.

Silver Lake, OH(Zone 5b)

I want to bump this up -

I bought one of these and I like it EXCEPT that it can only move straight - forward and backward ... what it needs is swivel wheels like are on wheelchairs, to be really mobile.

Any clever ones out there with ideas where to get the wheelchair wheels and how to put them on?

Debi, It is wonderful isn't it, how limber you must be to garden? My Doctor loves that I garden as he knows it keeps me keeping on. He got the giggles when the technician at my cardiac treadmill stress test couldn't get my heart rate up to the 150 that they wanted. He had told the tech that I was in great shape and he said that I proved his point well. lol

Janie, There is a place in Boise called Harbor Freight which I think is a chain store and they have all kinds of different wheels including ones that swivel. If you find what you want then you only have to take the seat and wheels to a welder or a machine shop and they should be able to install them for you.

Our son has decided to make me one of these that sits taller because I have a hard time getting out of low chairs and he doesn't want me stuck out in the yard. I think I am going to get it for Christmas. Yipppeeeee!

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi Melvatoo

I live in zone 10 or south Florida and also disabled. I have had the scooter for 4 months and it is great. I used to turn a flower pot upside down,now I use the scooter with the adjustable seat and tool holder. Big difference but beware of sloping ground for you have balloon tires and they do roll real easy.I almost slid into my lake!!!Funny!!!
The only drawback is that you must get off the cart to change direction. The wheels don't turn.You can only go straight-that's where I got in trouble. For me it is a blessing. Happy Gardening!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

well it is nice to hear about everyone that is gardening more because of this little machine. anything that works is my motto. as ponditis said whatever keeps you keeping on.

Silver Lake, OH(Zone 5b)

Yes, Tplant, that is my beef - only going straight - I don't have a lot of straight places in my hard, LOL!

Will check out the wheely place, Lani - thanks, Girl!

Looking forward to doctoring this thing up. Also trying to find a higher seat for mine - just wanting to get it up a couple of inches and pad it a bit - my ol hiney likes cushioning, for some reason. HA!

Janie, I identify with that padding! Like I don't have enough natural padding! Hahahaha

I too have wanted a higher seat on it and something like handlebars that would help me to stand after I have been sitting for a time. I think my son can do all of that for me plus put a storage area under the seat and maybe even a drink holder too now that that has been mentioned.

Anything else that you would want on this thing? I will tell our son and see what he can make.

Hopefully by the time this is made I will know how to use the digital camera that was given to me recently by a dear friend here at DG.

Silver Lake, OH(Zone 5b)

What about a brake to keep it from running away?

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

I have the scoot and a plastic bench...I find that I am using the bench more than the scoot, due to it not swiveling and the lack of any padding on the seat. You wouldn't think I would need MORE padding! But the plastic is a bit more forgiving, the metal seat hurts after awhile.

Janie, I asked him that and he said "Mom, you still have your legs that you can use to stop yourself." giggle

Silver Lake, OH(Zone 5b)

Well, yes but sometimes you can get out of control! Plus if you are leaning one way or the other... guess I can use a rock, LOL!

Out of control would not at all be new to me!!!!!! I am fairly often out of control. If I do go out of control I will just end up in a pond wearing a waterlily or a koi on my head and he will just get out the camera. LOL

Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

i just found a garden 'rocker' that i'm going to try next spring [yeah -after tomorrow the days will get longer agan!] it doesn't have wheels so it may need to stay put for periods at a time. but it looks a lot more comfortable than a bucket seat, especially the model with the padding. this is from the people who have the wrist saver [formally called earth-bud-eze] tools

Thumbnail by handhelpers
Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Hello folks, just found this thread. I was researching the 'Garden Scoot' on google and whaddayano - this thread pops up! Isn't that neat?

I found and am looking to buy a 'Scoot' with swivel front wheels and an adjustable seat (height). Cracked my kneecap May 1 and doc says I may not garden unless I get a rolling seat of some sort.

I tried the 'rocker seat' that handhelpers posted a picture of. It lasted about 15 minutes. The supports under the top started cracking so I returned it to Menards. It says 'up to 350 lbs.' and I am no where near that so it's not very well made.

Did anyone else get a swivel 'Scoot'? and if so, how did it work for you?

Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

that's awful about the rocker seat - i've been using mine for a few months and haven't had any trouble. please let us know what else you find.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I saw handhelpers' post and thought it looked really cool -- but now I'm reticent about seeking one out. I need something, though; it's too hard to get back up if I sit on the ground, squat (not a pretty sight!) or kneel.

Maybe the injection molding was messed up on yours, Kooger. Did you contact the vendor or the manufacturer about it? Something which does not perform well below its posted weight limit should be replaced or refunded!

Coopersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

i will definitely be contacting the manufacturer of the garden rocker since i just started selling these a few weeks ago and i don't like hearing that it would only last 15 minutes. i can't imagine how it could break. i'll let you know what he says.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.