yucca questions

Silver Springs, NV(Zone 6b)

Got a yucca in mail yesterday from catalog company; it already has a sprout on the stem above the roots. How deep should it be planted? How is it likely to do in winter (teens/low twenties), zone 6, semi-arid 4300' elevation, sandy stony alkiline land?
I don't know if it is a red root yucca or not; the roots look reddish brown.
Assume it shouldn't be planted within ten feet of anything that gets watered regularly on weekly basis--is this correct?

Thousand Oaks, CA

Boy, am not anywhere near your zone. What species of yucca is it? Many yuccas are very hardy (had a few in my yard in New Mexico when I lived there and got down to -20F without a problem). Here in So Cal where most all yuccas do OK, we plant them with the stem above the soil level, sand is great, and water them a few times initially (unless some root damage, then don't water for a few weeks), and once established never ever water again (though watering a little doesn't seem to hurt them... it just doesn't seem to be necessary, either).

I am in zone 7 and yuccas flourish here...wild and domesticated...good drainage is essential, and once established do not need water. The temperature is no problem...we get down below zero very occasionally and teens and twenties frequently.

Joshua Tree, CA(Zone 8b)

Tashak, I hate to disagree wiht Botany Bob, But a little infrequent water is better , faster plant growth, a guarantied Bloom for the year. If you get rain that should be sufficient, if not DO give it a little water. yes,if your soil doesnt have enough sand you may need to add to the soil. Ideal soiL( sorry I am reapeating myself!) 1/3 of each, sand, clay, compost.I see your soil is great just add a little copost, and I would add a little clay too. I live amoung so many Yuccas they are like weeds here. Alkilinity it can handle just great! Good luck.

Chatham-Kent, ON(Zone 6a)

Michele the Desert Plant Master is correct ; most plants prefer a bit of moisture with the odd exception . Good drainage is the most important item with yucca .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.