Propane heater for greenhouse

Bark River, MI

I've just recently put up a hobby greenhouse (8-1/2 x 16-1/2, twinwall polycarb glazing) here in the upper peninsula of Michigan and am looking for a fairly inexpensive way to supply some heat when the temp dips at night. I'm not planning to try to heat it during the "real" winter, just from, say, mid-March to mid to late Nov., maybe a night temp of 20 F. at the lowest, and just want to keep things from freezing, so maybe an inside temp of around 40-45. I'm thinking of getting a "Mr. Heater" 8,000-24,000 BTU double propane heater that mounts on top of a 20-pound LP cylinder but a friend questioned whether this would need to be vented to the outdoors and also thought it might corrode out from the humidity. From doing a search on this forum it looks to me like I would just need to be concerned with fresh air intake, not a vent; am I right about this? What about the corrosion factor? Any recommendations for some other heater in the $100 or so range? TIA for any and all help!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I used a propane Glo-Warm heater in my shoffice...no need to vent it (but in your ghouse, if it is very airtight you may want to have an oxygen source, easy to do if interested). The price list given at this link is a bit high...I got mine at Home Depot for $156. Trust me, the extra little bit of money you pay (over your $100 budget) is well worth it, especially if you get the thermostat controlled heater. Not only does it regulate the temperature automatically but conserves lots of fuel.http://www.fmconline.net/comfortglow/heaters/gw30t.html

Bark River, MI

Horseshoe, thanks for the reply - I can see where the thermostat would be a good idea; I'm going to check the one you mentioned at Home Depot and do some more looking. Fortunately, I shouldn't need it now until fall so I can take my time!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Yep, you've got time now. No hurry, eh? Maybe since it's the end of winter they will have some on sale now, trying to clear their shelves for spring/summer products. (I know ours doesn't even carry heaters during the summer months.)

Best of luck!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

hey get one you can use in the ice shanty in the "real winter!"
I would like to get one of those big propane ones! I ran an electric one this winter just to keep it from freezing in march!!!

brrrrrrrrrrrrr @ the UP!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.