Pic of the knobs on red yugao

Cullman, AL(Zone 7a)

Here is a pic
Weird huh?

Thumbnail by ArtyMiss
Albany (again), NY(Zone 5b)

Strange - I do have someone that I traded with who already flowered this one. Let me see if he encountered the same thing. Just sent a note - I'll let you know if he replies.

~Sandra~

*got my answer*

Alba, and to a greater extent, turbinata, have these these waxy spines -- sorta modified hairs. As I wrote earlier, Red Hirugao (moon) is in every way like turbinata, including the spines. Some ipomoeas are "hairier" than others, some fine, some kinky.

This message was edited Tuesday, May 27th 8:11 PM

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

OK ,now we have kinky flowers????

*snort* - the visualization I have of hairy morning glories in leather.... delicate cough....

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Now the stems are,what? The whip.......

bad ,really bad..........

See what you started, ArtyMiss! *teasing grin*

:-)

I'm looking forward to more MG and moonflower pictures, with or without leather! Keep 'em coming - I am so far behind everyone else; I'm barely getting my second set of leaves.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

still havent started mine......

Tokyo, Japan

Hey youse guys - knock it off!!

I've had to restrain myself from another Photoshop binge. This is a family site, y'know!!

;););)

Cullman, AL(Zone 7a)

Ohhhhhh Yea!! My kinda thread.
I can use this vine while my whips and chains are in the dry cleaner!!

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

giggle......

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

How'd you get these to start? I've tried starting about 15 seeds and none of them have germinated. I soaked them a tad before planting, but they all split open. HELP!

Thanks!

Sandy

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Crestedchik,

Any chance you'd be willing to spare a few of these seeds? Or anyone? I would be willing to offer you something of your choice in exchange!

Morph :)

Seedsower(Sandy): Go look up the Deno method (there are a few posts around). I did this with all of my moonflowers and had a very high success rate success - probably > 95%.

In a nutshell (no pun intended), put the seeds in a damp paper towel and put the paper towel in a plastic bag and wait a few days. For the super quick seeds - they can germinate as quickly as 24 hours. If I recall, for the moonflowers - more like 3-4 days.

Update - here is the thread:

http://davesgarden.com/t/382293/

This message was edited Tuesday, Jun 3rd 6:22 PM

Dayton, OH(Zone 5a)

Sbarr, thanks for the seed sowing link! Invaluable :)

Cullman, AL(Zone 7a)

I didn't even soak mine...I was on the run and just popped a few in a pot of soil with my thumb...it took about a week and they started peeking through

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.