Sparks, NV(Zone 6a)

Hi everyone,
I'm a new member to this site. I mainly joined to read the threads about string algae in garden ponds but I've found a lot of other interesting subjects too. We live in Northern Nevada where the soil is terrible and the water is so scarce we've traded a lawn for a pond and our planting area is getting smaller and smaller. We do have a lot of native plants and weeds don't seem to require water. Anyone else from Nevada?

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Welcome from Florida! This is a great site to learn and meet people from everywhere. I am sure someone from your area will find you soon!

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

In the meantime, hello from Georgia, too! Glad you've joined us!

St. Louis, MO(Zone 6b)

Hi jonnydanger. A big welcome from New York City [Bronx] where we plant our gardens between the cracks in the concrete. Our native plant is poison sumac and the native weed is [are] cigarette butts which keep appearing in the garden beds even though we weeded them yesterday :-) I hope you find many friends here in Dave's Garden. I have. See you among the forums.

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

Nice to meet you :)
you'll have loads of fun here, just jump right in with both feet

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Welcome from the west coast of So. Calif. I've been a member here for quite awhile, and I think you might be the first from Nevada that has posted. We do have several members that live in a desert climate, so maybe they will be able to help.

We are a very friendly group and will make you feel like family, so just enjoy yourself.

Donna

Crossville, TN

Welcome Jonnydanger. You can go to the Member List...scroll down to the state map...and find out how many there are from Nevada. You can also go to your Home Page and show where you are from too....and check the forums you want to see (I check them all....don't want to miss anything). You will feel at home here in no time....plus, we have open chat each Tuesday night (7 PM EDT), and Thursday morning at 7 AM. Come join us. Jo

Welcome from Colorado, too. I think you'll find that this is one of the best sites on the Web -- friendly, informative and fun. Enjoy!

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Welcome from the dry side of Oregon. Keeping things watered here is a challenge too. You'll love it here.

Sparks, NV(Zone 6a)

Hi and thank you all for the warm welcome. I like it here already. Donna

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

Welcome to Dave's!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Welcome and love your moniker! This is truly an amazing place - enjoy!

Sparks, NV(Zone 6a)

Johnny,

I'm a new member, also from Sparks. Are you in a new development? Often soil around new construction needs amending. We're in a 27 year old home, and have lived here 7 years. Still challenged by the Nevada climate--One word---Mulch! Conserving moisture and improving the soil seem to be the 1-2 greatest challenges.

Good luck!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Welcome from Iowa, to you both. Hope you are enjoying Daves.

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

jonnydanger
Welcome from pakistan.

Crossville, TN

Hi Johnny....maybe you should have started your own thread so folks can meet you. You will love it here. WELCOME!! Jo

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

welcome from upstate new york. its a great place

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

jonnydanger, Welcome, did you get the info you wanted concerning string algea in ponds. I had a real problem with it in my two ponds up until this year. About three years ago I bought 2 plastic about 1 foot in diameter ball thingys that had barley straw in them. i used them for two years, and this year only had a little string algea in the smaller ponds. One thing that I think helped was that I didn't replant my water lilies this spring so they got a head start and created a lot of shade which helps to prevent string algea. Did you go to the lily pond forum. Hope your pond is good now. Donna

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Hi from next door state Utah, but I'm on the far eastern side. Garden in blow sand myself... add add add it just seems to disappear - but given water, thngs grow.
Happy posting on DG's Jonnydanger ~Blooms

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.