Double purple/white datura

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Here are a couple of lovely flowers from seeds I received from a trade. I'm enjoying it and will share seeds with an impressed friend.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

those are lovely Dinu..

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

To the eye, it is such a pleasurable sight - that colour combination. This scanned picture does not reveal its true beauty.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

here is what i grew last year Dinu http://davesgarden.com/contest/2002/brug/viewbyuser.php?user=MaVieRose if not mistaken, what u got is what is commonly known here as 'black currant swirl'. compare these photos as ur bloom of ur plant progresses. see if it is one and the same.

the bloom on black currant swirl, smells divine. the flower in itself is very lovely.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

If my memory serves right, this plant grew from the seeds you sent me. I think it matches with the fourth one in your link. It will have a purple bud, when open, the outside is purple, the inside of the petal is snow white. Then again, the second set appears from inside and repeats the colour.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

it is all the same seed Dinu :), but each flower when they opened has different sets of characteristic showing on them. that much i noticed as each flower open. one thing for sure, they all smell sweet and beautiful in their own right.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

I am going to shift it to a more prominent place - which it deserves.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I grew these this spring from seed and have so many plants I don't know what to do with them all. I have planted them and given many away. How tall do these guys get? How long till they bloom ?

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Mine are about 2 feet tall and tends to branch sideways. If you are asking about the time length of the bloom, it lasts a couple of days for me in warm weather. I understand it stays longer in cooler climes. These are my first daturas, so that is all I know.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

last year mine grew to nearly 5' tall, the top grew to nearly 4' across, in a semi shaded area. i kept the top under control cause i wanted the flowers to be closed together.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Mavie, did yours grow to 5' in half a year or one full season?

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

yes it did in thru the season, but died when the cold weather came in. maybe urs would be perinnial to ur area. mine died when the temperature went down to 20* F. let me know how urs fair. thx.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

OK.

(Zone 5a)

Dinu I love them and can't wait for mine to bloom.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

How nice!

(Zone 5a)

Here is a photo of the yellow and purple together, I also have the triple white. http://davesgarden.com/fp.php?pid=360576

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Very pretty. I also have the 3-yellow. #-white? I don't think I have seen this one. I have begun to like these lovely plants! Have been growing a few brugs but they are yet to show any signs of flowering. I think they are too young now. Now that the summer has ended here and the monsoon is on the way, there will be more green around here.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Dinu... here is what i have posted on the triple white datura. http://davesgarden.com/contest/2002/brug/viewbyuser.php?user=MaVieRose it is Datura metel 'Alba'. very lovely but not a prolific bloomer as the purple or yellow daturas, basing from personal experience last year. a Dear friend here on DG shared it with me last year as a seedling.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Hi Mavie, prolific or not, it is a lovely flower. I have the white one growing wild from seeds of plants that grew on the roadside. But I do not like the thorny seed pod. Luckily, the ones you had sent me don't have those thorns!

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Dinu, there are so many types of daturas. from personal observation, some have smooth or spiky seed pods... depending on variety. i don't care either way, as long as i am assured i can have some seeds for the following year. since daturas are considered annual plants in my area. i hope, with the kind of temperature u have, maybe they will be considered as perinneal[sp?] in ur area?

(Zone 5a)

Dinu here is a photo of last years daturas and brugs. I got my first brug plant last year form Snow and a few other nice people here. http://davesgarden.com/contest/2002/brug/viewbyuser.php?user=windsurffer

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.