Ladyslipper... what a find!!!

Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

My neighbor asked me to take a look at these plant's she found behind her house, she said they kinda looked like pocketbook's! Well we live in the wood's so I knew what that meant.... I grabbed my shovel and off we went!!!

Sure enough about 10 feet behind her fence there they were, at least 6 that I could see right off the bat! Some were pretty small and I just did not have the heart to dig them up but I could not pass up the chance to have a couple so I dug just 2!!!!!!

They are so cool!!!!!

sue

Thumbnail by ruby42
Morris, IL(Zone 5b)

That is sooooooooooooo cool! You are so lucky! I do hope they survive the move. I hear they can be kind of tricky to grow. Good luck! And I hope they multiply so I can get some too! :)

naturepatch

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

sue you lucky lucky gal!!!!!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Are those protected/endangered?

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

certain varieties are federally and state protected in the wild:

http://plants.usda.gov/cgi_bin/plant_search.cgi?mode=Scientific+Name&keywordquery=Cypripedium+acaule&Go.x=5&Go.y=16&Go=Go&earl=plant_search.cgi

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

It's FREE GAME!!!!!!!!!!!....ahem...okay maybe not..:~D Don't feel too bad Ruby, I have just collected some local native plants.I want to make sure there are some left here, so many people are moving in. "ugh".Many plants have been lost due to "people population"....what we are doing... It is called....ummm..Nature Conservation!...yeah that's it..Hehehe.;~)

Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

Oh I like that "Nature Conservation" I must agree that is what I was thinking!!!!! hehe

sue

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

Ahh ruby42, you kind soul, you rescued those plants! Now we can all rest easy knowing that lady slippers will survive in NJ. Especially the Feds, who are so concerned about their safety.
0=)

I've got my eye on a Mallow that needs rescuing ...

Cheri'

Bowie, AZ(Zone 8B)

Can't be anything wrong with "relocation", huh?

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

As long as they are relocated beneath pines, they should do OK, but they require a certain fungus that grows under pine needles for survival and once it's used up they disappear, sometimes to pop up a little ways downhill, in fresh pine straw-covered ground...

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks you woodspirt1!

I wanted to say something but you did a much better job than I could have!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.