Had to Do it!

Clarksville, IN(Zone 6a)

Hi everybody, hope you had a good weekend. If you didn't work at work, I guess you did. Was going to get dirt since it didn't rain today, instead bought some Bee Balm, Goatsbeard, Turtlehead, Money Plant, Monkshood and Tall Phlox. I couldn't resist. Don't know much about these plants except found out Monkshood is poisnous. Do anyone know about these. thanks Deb

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Deb,
The Monarda (Bee Balm) does best w/ sun and a lot of air flow. They are VERY susceptible to mold and mildew.
Very fragrant foliage and a heavy bloomer.
We've had luck dead heading for a re-bloom.

ALL parts of the Aconitum (Monkshood) are indeed poisonous.
Be careful w/ that one around pets and kids.
It was a favorite poison in the Middle Ages.
A gorgeous bloomer though.

Goats-beard can get pretty large (like a giant astilbe) so it's a back of the bed plant here.

The Phlox is usually a nicely behaved spreader and a good late Spring bloomer.

Hope this helps.

Ric

Clarksville, IN(Zone 6a)

henry, just saw your message. Thanks so much. Guess I will move the Bee Balm. I did wonder why it had white stuff on it, now I know. Thanks Debk

Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

Bee Balm is a member of the mint family and will spread by ground roots...not as invasive as mint, but take care where you plant it.

Money plant will not bloom the first year...but look out the second year...it will also spread by reseeding itself anywhere and everywhere.

My mom has bee letting it grow where ever a seeling comes up the following year... She has a lot of fun letting the seedspods dry oput and then giving the dried stakes away.

Brazil, IN(Zone 5a)

that money plant will definately spread everywhere, mom has it all over the yard and dad only bought one plant last year. There's bloomed the first year (not sure how that happened) but dad saved the seed pods and put them in a bed he wanted to start (go figure) anyway when they came up all over the yard mom wasn't very happy and now she's telling him he'll have to take all the dried pods and collect them before they get everywhere again, it's an ongoing fuss between them. Tracy Causes lots of amusement for us kids.

Grove City, OH(Zone 6a)

Deb, the Turtlehead is Chelone. It blooms late summer. It prefers to be kept moist all year, so is a great bog plant. I have lost several during droughts :( It grows in full sun to medium shade, but the more sun, the more flowers.

But DG'ers to the rescue; I have 3 new ones this year. I do love my friends here :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.