not sure what to do!

Brooklet, GA(Zone 8a)

i have a large bradford pear tree. about 40 ft tall and 20 ft wide. we have lived here since 94 and this is the first year that it fully bloomed. it was beautiful. my problem is this: there are several dead branches in this tree. all thru out it. if i cut them out the tree will l ook really terrible. can i prun the tree back to about 10 feet and not kill it? then i could work with it and it would get rid of all those dead branches.

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Unfortunately, you can't cut back the top, start over, and end up with anything that you would want to look at on a daily basis, unless you are fond of Tim Burton films. A Bradford that large has come to the end of its useful life as it is probably just a short matter of time before it splits in half. I would recommend cutting it down and planting something else that flowers, has fall color, and has a prettier habit.

I am currently enamored with Oxydendron arboreum, common name Sourwood and have planted several throughout the property. However, there are a number of other great trees with flowers/fall color and even better cultivars of Pyrus calleryana if you don't want something very different ('Aristocrat' is more horizontal and 'Cleveland Select' is more narrow).

That is why so many people buy, plant and grow Bradford pears because they are a fast growing tree, but their life span is only about 10 years.

Brooklet, GA(Zone 8a)

thanks guys. i would estimate the tree to be at least 11 yrs old.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.