May 20

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

I just got chased back in by a heavy sprinkle. I had a morning of gardening planned, did get the alpine strawberries out, pot shards in the hollow spaces and new dirt and compost down for the berries, then mulch on top, but that wasn't nearly half of what I needed to do. We spent the better part of an hour and a half chasing heifers and fixing fences. These are the medium sized girls up at Stan's brother's and it looks like the dog has been chasing them through ALL of the fences on a regular basis. We had to put them in yesterday afternoon and it's not like they aren't a nice calm batch of girls - they will follow you anywhere if you have a grain bucket. I think Stan is going to call his brother tonight and have a talk about the dog. I can't see a whole summer of this nonsense.

Stan is out getting the silos ready for filling. If the rain has gone through by tomorrow, he plans on mowing like a crazy man. hehe, what am I saying, he is a crazy man! But then you have to be to farm anymore. I guess we should all be thankful there are still a few crazies.

The milk hauler told Stan this morning that the big (500 cow) dairy in a nearby town took their self-propelled mower in to have it worked on and the dealership repossessed it. There have been at least three big guys going down to bankruptcy this year already. Not good.

Well, I guess I'll go make some cookies. It seems to have decided to really rain and I'll just play housewife for the rest of the day.

This thread has 2 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!