Dogwood...in bloom

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

This was just a little twig when I planted it (bare root). It's the best dogwood I've seen (in my opinion). The color is great, it's low and very dense, almost like a shrub and the blooms are very nice too.

This message was edited Monday, May 19th 8:35 PM

Thumbnail by hczone6
Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

Blooms...

Thumbnail by hczone6
Bay City, MI(Zone 5a)

Oh it's beautiful and so full!! How old is it now?? Did you order it from a catalog? I had one on order this spring, just got a notice from the nursery that they were all sold out :(

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

I'd say it can't be any more than 5 or 6 years old. I think it's been in the ground here for about 4 or at the most, 5 years. I got it from the national arbor day foundation. It was one of those 10 free trees they offer to join. I'm not a member any longer though. For one, I don't like their politics and two, I just don't get anything out of it other than a free twig now and then. This one turned out great though...lol I have no clue what the official name is. Other than being a flowering dogwood, that's all I know.

Albany, MO(Zone 5a)

What a beauty!!! I planted a 5 gallon Pink Flowering Dogwood two years ago,,it's just a baby, not over 5' tall. It did have buds, and bloomed a few, but we had a last hard frost that hurt the buds badly. I'm soooo looking forward to mine looking like yours. I too was a member of the national arbor day society,,the last time i sent them money i told them not to send me anymore dead sticks....so they sent me 30! Three lived. A pine, ash and river birch. I no longer belong,,,I feel guilty about not planting the dead sticks.

I wonder,,do you know if the pink flowering has the same habit as the white dogwood? Yours, as you say, looks almost like a shrub, while mine looks more like a little tree.

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

I know there are white flowering dogwoods that have the same foliage and blooms as the one I have, but they grow more like a tree. I've seen lots of them in the Smoky Mountains / Gatlinburg, TN (I go every year). I just bought a pink dogwood that looks more like a small tree. Since I have no clue which one this is...the white one I have...I can't be of much help. I guess it's possible that the one I have is supposed to be the more tree-like dogwood and it's just doing something really unexpected. I don't know...but I do know I just love it! It's so full and lush.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.