? for professional growers

Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

Do you grow all the plants you sell from seed, or do you also buy starts to pot up and sell (and where do you get them)?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

For years I've always grown from seeds and also cuttings. This past yr I bought plugs for the first time. It made life easier in some respects. You'll need to order early tho in order to get them in time for sales, allowing time for them to grow bigger, etc.

Not sure I'd recommend who I got them from. Am gonna be shopping around for a different supplier.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

My favorite nursery gets everything in plug trays very early in the spring, then they pot them into cells. After that, some are moved to four inch pots and bigger. The plugs are relatively cheap but the plants are tiny. It takes a while for them to size up.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We do mainly seeds. We are very insect & disease free.
Do some plugs for liners,(Vinca Vine, Spikes, vines & such).
Brought a batch of aphids home with that stuff. Still havn't been able to justify cost of annual plugs. Would be good for things that don't germinate good, if we could find supplier without ordering in Nov.
Bernie

Stockton, MO(Zone 6b)

thanks for the input!

just saw this
i have to say yes to all of the above. it depends what i want, i have found it is just easyer to buy somethings already started like french tarragon but but mint is so easy to root. and some things like basil i start from seed and take cuttings when they get big enough

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.