Fireplace ash dump in landscape

Montezuma, NM(Zone 5b)

The previous owners had their own personal dump. The place is rural and original owners built on the side of a hill 50 years ago. I found the glass and tin can dump when my dog started digging around and unearthed a bit of glass.

Now I've found the spot they've put straight wood stove ashes. I was digging out some weeds, concentrated in this 10 by 10sq ft area. Probably the only thing it would grow. The depth is about 18 to 30 or so inches.

It is a fairly steep spot at the top of an arroyo (mini canyon) just below pear and apple trees.

I'm trying to naturalize iris, poppies in addition to native wild flowers. There are aspen and pine and lilac growing well already. What can I do with this one barren spot? All suggestions welcome.

New York City, NY(Zone 6b)

This is a gardening problem perhaps best solved by some thoughts regarding chemistry. The ash has a particular chemical composition. Here is some information about that:

http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~blpprt/bestwoodash.html

http://eesc.orst.edu/agcomwebfile/garden/composting/woodash.html

The problem you are trying to solve is, "How can I chemically convert what is currently in the ground to a medium that will support plant life?"

The actual composition of the ash will be related to what the previous owners had been burning. Were they burning simply wood, plywood, coated wood (paint, varnish, etc.)?

Additionally, you may wish to remove some of the wood ash. Do this wearing gloves, a dust mask, etc. (I have done some of this sort of digging and it's not entertainment).

Knowing what wood ash contains from the links I posted above, you can then give some thought to which soil ammendments, and in what amounts, you may then wish to add.

Over all, the very best advice I could give, and that given to me by others who post here, is organic matter, organic matter, organic matter, i.e.: worm castings, compost, etc.

Like you, I am engaged in a large scale soil improvement project and have come to accept that it will require discipline, hard work, time (possibly years) and, maybe most importantly, a plan.

One thing that was quite helpful to me was to have a soil analysis performed, the results of which I could use as a "base line" for developing my plan.

One last thought, as you are in a rural area, perhaps you could contact your local agricultural extension agent and also get advice from them?

Hope these thoughts get you started.

Adam.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.