Hybrid graft : tree novelty?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Anyone growing, have seen, or know of a source for this? Laburnocytisus adamii (look it up on a search engine). This extraordinary plant is best described as a freak of nurture. A 19 c. French horticulturalist was grafting Broom (Chamaecytisus purpureus) onto Laburnum (L. anagyroides) and, by chance, a shoot arose from the point of the graft that contained mixed tissues from both plants!

So he propagated this single shoot and the resulting plant found its way into cultivation as a novelty. As the plant contains two completely different sets of genes, individual branches grow as Laburnum (small tree with yellow flowers), as Broom (whippy shrub with purple flowers) or - most of them - as a mixture with pinkish-yellow flowers. The plant can't decide whether to grow in a shrubby or tree-like habit, so it is reputedly prone to be a lumpy and odd-shaped tree, blooming in all three colors.

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

that sounds really interesting. I will be looking for one from now on. Thanks for the information.

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

I found it listed at Cymron Cottage. They have a email addy to order from or ask questions. The price is $30 each if it is the true one that might be alright. Try cymroncottage@aol.com I have never dealt with this nursery and I have not checked it out in the Garden Watchdog either.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.