Bougainvillea bonsai

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Petals are a bit brown on the edges. Finished blooming soon? Too much water? Too much light?

Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Here is the Bougainvillea and the Portulacaria Alfa (guess it is a white portulaca) LOL!

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

wow, look at the trunk on that. It's beautiful!! Do you have any idea of the age?

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Haighr, Bouganvillea blooms last a long time. You might be giving it too much water if you think it doesn't look good. I think it looks great. Won't hurt Bouganvillea to get dry even to wilting, sometimes you have to let them wilt to force buds. I must get busy and repot one of mine that i have had in a hanging pot. My greenhouse get so crowded. I have quite a few things, maybe 20 at times hanging from the ceiling 2 x 6s. Donna

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the info! I believe you know what you are talking about, the info says to keep them real wet, but I think too much water is not doing it any good.

Palmyra, VA(Zone 7a)

Give it as much light as you can. My bougies sit outside in full FL sun for at least 6 hrs.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

hi Tim!!!! how are things going???

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks, I will if we ever get any sun here LOL, been raining 40 days and 40 nights. All the blossoms have dropped. Should I pinch back the stems the blossoms were on?

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

You guys know what you are talking about. Mine is starting to bloom again!

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Bougainvilleas kept in pots need more water than bougainvilleas grown in the ground. I've had both and didn't find the bougainvillea in the pot to be particularly drought-tolerant. It would survive, but often dropped it's flowers first, and then the leaves.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Well, that is exactly what is happening to mine. Lost the flowers and now many of the leaves. Will try to help it survive and maybe will be better next spring.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Well, it still has a few leaves, but looks not nearly as healthy as the portulaca bonsai. Hope next spring it will do better outside.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Today I am left with a handful of still attached green leaves. Should I assume this one will come back in the spring? The trunk still looks healthy?

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Haighr, I am in your neck of the woods. Visiting my daughter in Fairfax, VA for over Thanksgiving. We went to Gaithersville Thur. to the Sugarloaf arts and crafts show. Had a great time, the weather was perfect. We were there 7 hours !!! and didn't see everything. Then Friday we went to the Washington show in the new convention center. A beautiful show of very expensive things. It is very cold at home. I will be leaving Friday for Spokane and home. Donna

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Wow, not far away Donna. Hope you have a great day in Fairfax. My inlaws live in Rockville, they usually come here for Thanksgiving, but FIL very ill so will not be able to make it. We plan to stop and see them on our way to Tasha's at Christmas (if we go).
Those craft shows are really something down there, no way you can see everything!
BTW here is my pitiful bougainvilla bonsai today!

Thumbnail by haighr
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

haighr, I'm back home in WA now. First thing I did was check my plants. I hired a neighbor to come ever so often and water. Most things okay, some got pretty dry. She stopped this afternoon to apologise. All of her family home for Thanksgiving and she forgot to water on Friday. I told her not to worry, only lost one plant and had two of those. However my variegated bouganvillea is dropping all of its leaves, and I don't think it got too dry. I don't actually know what the problem is, just makes a mess as I am sure it will grow new leaves, as will yours. Donna

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks Donna, sorry you lost one. Hoping to see new leaves on mine in the spring when I can get it outside. Glad you had a save and happy trip!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Dead as it looked, I am actually getting a few new leaves on my bonsai.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Well, here it is the end of July and still just that one stem of foilage. Don't think it will bloom this year. Will post a pic, should I prune the dead branches back and work with the one with leaves?

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

haighr now it is in the middle of Oct. how is your bonsai doing? Did it survive?

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I take them in this time of year. The bougainvillea just has a few leaves. I also have the portulaca and haven't brought it in but will this eve as we had a quite hard frost last eve hoping not too late!

Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 11)

No picture of the Portulaca?
We have several Bougainvilleas growing outside. It NEVER freezes here, but they do loose most of their leaves in what is called "Winter" here. I would consider them deciduous.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks Ulrich, mine lost leave last year and only had one branch leaf this year. Here is a pic of the Portulaca when I first got it, it is significantly larger now.

Thumbnail by haighr

Here is my Elephant Bush (Portulacaria afra). It gows very slowly:

Thumbnail by Ulrich
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Looks a lot like mine except the trunk will have to check the tag on my Protulacaria and see exactly what it is.

The trunk on my elephant (ha ha) is a lot older than yours; that's the diff.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.