Black Gum - Anyone have photos?

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

Anyone have photos of a mature black gum tree? I bought this a month ago. I liked the shape and the foliage. Here's a photo of new growth popping out on mine.

Thumbnail by hczone6
Chardon, OH(Zone 5a)

Are you looking for bark, leaves, fall color or what? I love this tree for its fall color. It's the most intense red. Beautiful. I don't have photos I can remember, but I can take pictures at any time for you. We have several trees around - even some really old ones.

Dawn

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

I guess I'd like to see the overall shape. And maybe a picture of the mature bark. The young bark here is very light and pretty.

do you know the latin name for this plant?

Zone 6, OH(Zone 6a)

Nyssaceae Nyssa sylvatica

I found a nice web site that has several photos and info...but I was looking for personal experience.

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/syllabus/nsylvatica.htm

Chardon, OH(Zone 5a)

Sorry for the delay, I just realized I took the pics and forgot to post. Too busy in the spring. Here are a few pics of older trees.

~15-20 yrs old

Thumbnail by DawnG
Chardon, OH(Zone 5a)

Bark on old tree ~100 year old

Thumbnail by DawnG
Chardon, OH(Zone 5a)

Bark on middle age tree ~30-50 year old
(slightly dark, it was raining)

Thumbnail by DawnG
Chardon, OH(Zone 5a)

I don't know of any specimens I can find growing away from woods so that I can get a better picture. I tried to silhouette the one so you can see the outline and shape. Hope this helps.

They are beautiful trees and you can't beat that fall color. They do have a tendency, in this area, to send up suckers from the roots sometimes so you might get little trees springing up around the main plant. That's the only drawback I know and it's not enough to keep me from putting it in my yard.

D

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.