How hardy are Kiwi's?

rural, WY(Zone 3a)

I put this in another forum, but realized that people here would be quite knowledgeable here too. Where I currently live all kiwi's seem to be hardy and fruit, even though our temperate summer causes a very late ripening, usually indoors 1-2 months after picked.
I would like to grow some fruiting varieties where I plan to move, winters are cold- it's a hot summer valley influenced by mounatin air in the winters. Winters are snowy. I don't know the zone exactly, but it seems to be 5-6, probably 6. (That is Canadian zoning)
I have seen Actinidia kolomiki grown in this valley, but as far as I know the species doesn't fruit. Well that doesn't make sense I suppose. I think of it as a foliage plant, rather than a fruiting vine. Thanks if anyone has tried these in tough winter areas. Also wondering if the long hot summer would help them ripen better.
Dennis

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

Dennis, i hope this help http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/codea/B150.shtml i have not grown it myself, so i thought this link will answer ur question/s.

Lexington, KY

I have the kiwi that doesn't have fruit (I believe it is the male??). My vine is about 3 years old now. I ordered mine from Jackson and Perkins after I fell in love with the color that it is supposed to be in a few years - pink and green! Mine is growing on the front of my house. Mine comes back just fine each spring, and I live in zone 5.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.