GH on swampy area?

rural, WY(Zone 3a)

It's not exactly swampy, but seasonally it get's pretty saturated during spring runoff. I am looking at buying a piece of property that has some low areas. The property is big enough that they wouldn't necessarily be needed, but I was wondering if it would work putting GH's on those areas? I was thinking of putting down landscape fabric, then a good thick layer of soil, as deep as need be. They would be plastic hoop houses, 12' wide by 3o', as an estimate. Thanks.

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

my gh is in a low spot. now this is a small one, but dh dug down about 2 1/2 feet all around the foundation we laid plastic on the ground where the gh will be, then filled with small rocks. around the foundation and pea gravel in the floor area. i found a few pictures i thought i had documented the whole building of it but i cannot find that cd.
this one is the digging of the drainage ditch/foundation.

Thumbnail by farmgirl21
Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

this is when it was just done you can see a little more what i mean it is all rock under the rest was built with wood. when we do have good rains it does fill up with water few inches. i set my heater in a cinder block and use glass blocks to hold the plants out of the water. when i need to water i set my plants on the ground and i can bottom water. lol. i have noticed when it is full of water it is a lot warmer and everyone seems happy.

Thumbnail by farmgirl21
Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

of the floor all the shelves weren't in yet but i could not wait to start filling it. the otherside of the wall is storage shed that i am going to get back this yr when dh's new shed goes up.

Thumbnail by farmgirl21
rural, WY(Zone 3a)

Thanks a lot farmgirl. That's a great GH you have there. I think you are right on with the damp making plants grow better, a friend of mine runs and indoor tropical rainforest and he swares that the plants thrive with high humidity compared to dry air.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Just keep in mind that everything that rains down on a hoop house goes directly to the sides.So all of the rain that actually hits the area that the greenhouse is setting on,is now at your edges.My floor isn't high enough,I've found out.The water runs in from both sides before it can drain away and floods the floor.I'm going to cut some drainage ditches down each side and put perforated pipe in a gravel bed to carry the water away.The floor of the GH is higher than the surrounding ground,and it still floods....badly.

Just an observation that I hope helps.If I'd known before,I'd built my floor up another 3 inches.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Mel, I put two drain lines like that inside my ghouse as well as on each side outside. It really helps. I put the ones inside cuz I figgered what with all the watering I do in there it has to go somewhere once it hits the floor.

rural, WY(Zone 3a)

Thanks Melody. So both underground drainage, and a porous floor. I really like using gravel as a floor, so if I put a thick layer that should work. It will be an experiment for sure. I think (if I get the property, or one like it) I will watch it until there has been one big snow-melt, and decide where to place it from there.

Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

Dennis, My ground is wet too in the spring when all the snow melts. When we put our GH up we had a couple of loads of gravel put down (which consists of course sand and small stones)and built it up about 5-6" where the floor was going to be. After smoothing it out and making it even we made the floor frame out of pressure treated 4x4's.Then we put the landscape fabric on top of the gravel.We then put down white marble stone but any type of small stone can be used.I can water and spray my plants with the hose and the water goes down through the gravel and it is never wet in there.

Thumbnail by snowhermit
rural, WY(Zone 3a)

I'm thinking that moist areas would be ideal places for the GH (maybe seasonally becuase you may get more molds or other damp-realted problems in winter), then the dry areas of the land can be better used with trees and other plants not liking the damp.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.